Blackberry Bush

• 7 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Blackberry Bush
« on: February 13, 2011, 16:18 »
OK I have a blackberry bush I bought about 4 years back and it is looking ropey at the moment. However if I leave it it goes everywhere which I also don't want. Should I put netting up if so can I use chicken mesh on the fence or do I need that plastic covered mesh?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it more compact and fruitful but encourage more branches if that makes sense as I have cut a number of stems back in the past but they have not produced any new shoots.

Any instructional vids for this is welcome it is a none thorny variety that I have.

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Dreamer@45

Re: Blackberry Bush
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 16:57 »
Bill, Go on you tube and type in.... Taming the Blackberry Patch GreenGardenGuy1. Very good info. hope this helps :)

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 17:02 »
OK I have a blackberry bush I bought about 4 years back and it is looking ropey at the moment. However if I leave it it goes everywhere which I also don't want. Should I put netting up if so can I use chicken mesh on the fence or do I need that plastic covered mesh?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it more compact and fruitful but encourage more branches if that makes sense as I have cut a number of stems back in the past but they have not produced any new shoots.

Any instructional vids for this is welcome it is a none thorny variety that I have.

Cheers Bill

You really need to allow it root space 2 x 2' - maybe resite?!
I cordon mone and train it up and along stake and wire system which allows each cane for maximum fruiting. Mulch with rotted muck about now until March and feed with Growmore in Spring. Same as for Raspberries. I set my galvanised wires a foot apart horizontally, then use soft tie to attach cane to wire. They can grow up to about 6'.

Hope this helps - no video - sorry
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 17:03 »
We have two blackberries of a thornless variety, Oregon.

Planted against the same fence as the raspberries picture I posted on your other thread. The various branches are trained along strands of garden wire along the fence.

When do you prune yours back ?
Do you cut out the old growth as soon as it has finished fruiting?

We also trim back the new growth at the same time if any of the new growth has become too lengthy. This seems to give it a chance to branch out before its dormant time arrives.

Last year we decided to let one of the bushes run up on top the greenhouse roof so it should provide some shading for the plants inside in summer months.

A picture taken in May'09 showing one blackberry with wiring.

10-05-09-012-web.jpg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 17:24 by Ma and Pa Snip »
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 14:31 »
Great advice and thanks Ma and Pa for the picture it has given me some more insight as to training it will get on that now. As for the pruning it's more of a butcher than a prune as I planted it before I gave real thought to gardening I just chopped any old time  ::)

Just had a look at the bush and to be honest I am thinking about just digging it out and starting a new one all the bottom canes are dead no new shoots except one and when I tried to twist it into a new direction I heard the stem crack so I'm not holding out much hope for it. Will leave it a while and see what happens however I now have more of an idea should I replace it with a new plant.

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 15:31 by billathome65 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 14:32 »
Get your secateurs and go outside now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 15:32 »
Been outside and checked it and edited last post  :tongue2: :tongue2:

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 22:15 »
I'd be inclined to dig it up and plant something useful, then go and pick all the blackberries you need from the countryside.  ;)

xx
Is this a blackberry bush?

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 14:38
by zestymordant
xx
Blackberry bush in a container?

Started by kimonokawaii on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 16:34
by Trillium
xx
My new blackberry bush has arrived

Started by pepper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 20:31
by gobs
xx
Blackberry bush - support

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 21:55
by GardenShed

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 27 queries.