Blackberry bush - support

• 9 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Blackberry bush - support
« on: May 19, 2013, 19:12 »
Ive bought a blackberry cane from Homebase, apparently it is one that doesnt have thorns. Im going to plant it at the perimeter of my allotment. Do I need to use two stakes and wire as support, or will it do ok without?
I have raspberry canes which I inherited that do not have support.

If I do need to use support, how close do I plant the cane to the line of wires? and how high should the top wire be?  Someone mentioned 6 foot but that seems huge!!  Surely the bush wont end up being 6 foot tall!!  Would prefer not to go higher 4 or 5 foot at most - there is already some exiting stakes and a few lines of wire which acts as a fence between mine and another allotment, which I could just add to.  But obviously don't want to start making the existing fence higher as it will look weird and possibly irritate the neighbour?

Also planting goodberry.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Blackberry bush - support
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 19:18 »
Blackberries are what you make of them, but to get a decent amount of fruit you need to give them width, but they don't need a lot of depth.

My thornless one I train along wires supported by scaffold pole. It has 15 feet in which to spread itself and about 5' in height. It could easily take more.

It takes no more than a foot in depth.

It sounds like you may have a good spot in which to put it, as long as you have sufficient width. Plant it almost up to the wire.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 19:33 »
Ok brilliant, I ll just add some extra lines of wire, but leave it at about 4 or 5 foot.  Width is not a problem, there is a couple of meters.

at the moment it is 1 single cane with nothing growing off it. its about 30 cm high i guess - do i just plant it or tirm it down?

As the stems grow is it a case of losely tying them to the wire - is that what "tying in" means?

Thanks!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 19:50 »
Leave it as it is and tie it in loosely as you say.

You should get a lot of others spring up from the root and you can train them as you wish.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 19:58 »
Just bear in mind that it is likely to be a variety that flowers & fruits on the previous year's growth, and so you may not get fruit this summer

Treat it well and it will do you proud for many year to come though  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 19:59 »
Sorry if I am being stupid, but at the moment its just one think stem which does not look like it needs any support, and it is only short I presume I do not have to tie this to the wire, but just plant close to the wire?

As stems start to grow upwards, do I just use green garden wire to loosely tie the stem to the wire?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 20:03 »
I use soft string to tie in the growths as they lengthen.

This is because once those canes have fruited I cut them off at the end of the season and I can just snip the string rather than untwiddle wire

The new growths to fruit next year are just beginning to appear above ground on mine this week, but will take  a while before they are long enough to tie onto the wire framework, as my lowest wire in about 1m high

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 20:11 »
How many lines of wire do you use and at what intervales from the ground? Thanks.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 20:22 »
I have 2 varieties and one will throw 2 or 3 canes of 12 foot that are thick enough to not need any support, although tying them to something is a good idea just to control them.

The other will throw 2 or 3 canes of 15 to 20 foot that do need tying to something, as well as being longer they are thinner.

Both fruit well and the fruit is nice, not the classic bramble taste.

Did they name the variety ?

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 21:55 »
Will have to check what variety I have.  what do you mean 15 to 20 feet? IN what direction? 

Shall I just have two wires - one of the wires 2.5 foot high and the other one 4.5 foot high - would this suffice?

xx
Blackberry Bush

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 22:15
by solway cropper
xx
Is this a blackberry bush?

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 14:38
by zestymordant
xx
My new blackberry bush has arrived

Started by pepper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 20:31
by gobs
xx
Blackberry bush in a container?

Started by kimonokawaii on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 16:34
by Trillium

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 35 queries.