Using weedkiller to clear a new plot

• 19 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Using weedkiller to clear a new plot
« on: February 08, 2011, 22:55 »
Hello

More newbie questions...

Can I canvas opinion on using a systemic weedkiller to clear my new, overgrown allotment?

I had every intention of trying to dig instead, but I had spinal surgery in October  :( and having started trying to dig today  :ohmy: , I realised that my back won't sustain it!
I would just love to understand the implication a bit more.

Also, if I were to use it (e.g. glyphosate) - is it sensible to cover up the current weeds with black plastic until they start growing again in March? Would I then just rotavate over the dead weeds?

Hmm...I know opinion is hugely divided on this sort of thing, but I'm very interested to find out!

Nikkithefoot

Re: Using weedkiller to clear a new plot
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 23:00 »
There is little point applying systemic weedkiller until the weeds are actively growing which will probably not be until April.

Covering with black plastic is a better bet, then you can at least plant through it. It will take a good few months to kill the weeds by covering them up.

Dig a tiny bit at a time and plant as you go will also help. Good luck.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 23:08 »
We don't use any chemicals on our plot, but we did Glyphosate it at the outset.  And then got the local farmer to plough and rotavate it, which gave us a flying start.

I personally wouldn't have any qualms about doing it that way if I had to start from scratch again.

(But you need to wait until the weeds are actively growing, and things like Bindweed start into growth very late, so even then you may not kill them)

If you are going to Glyphosate I wouldn't use plastic sheet - you want the weeds to be growing in order to kill them.  But an alternative is to plan to cover the ground with weed suppressing membrane for a whole season and plant through it.  Plastic sheet is probably not a good choice (water runs off, rather than "through"), and don't use carpet as an alternative - full of chemicals and a nightmare to remove when it starts to rot.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 23:15 »
Ok - well I might try and clear a small patch to start me off, and then clear the rest later in the season when the weeds are growing - would April be late enough to catch the bindweed? I'm pretty sure there's some lurking around the plot

digalotty

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 23:40 »
with bindweed i get a small sprayer and bruise the leaves and spray ,    luckily mine was growing up a fence away from anything i was growing
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 23:52 »
I'm not a glyphosphate user, but i can give you a tip on any bindweed that emerges later in the year- confine it by stuffing it into a plastic bottle (where it will no doubt continue to grow) and spray your weedkiller into the bottle only.... so you can grow other things around it, and treat the bindweed at the same time!!)

savbo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02 »
is it sensible to cover up the current weeds with black plastic until they start growing again in March? Would I then just rotavate over the dead weeds?

I think that covering up is a good idea so you,re not dealing with very strong weeds...uncover 2 weeks to let things get growing with green leaves then hit it with round up. probably wait a couple more weeks and hit it again. wait another couple of weeks before your rotavate to see if docks etc come up cos you don't want to chop them up if they're still alive...

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29 »
This is all very interesting to me as a new allotment owner. Where do you buy glyphosate from?
I'm definitely going to cover up the half of our plot that's not being cultivated, at least then we can concentrate the crops, while keeping  rest of the plot fairly tidy (ish). ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33 »
You'll find it branded as "Roundup" and also in other generic weedkillers, have a look at the label.

"Resolva 24H" contains it, along with Diquat, which shows within 24 hours, but you must leave it on for the Glyphosate to take effect.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 08:37 »
You'll find it branded as "Roundup" and also in other generic weedkillers, have a look at the label.

"Resolva 24H" contains it, along with Diquat, which shows within 24 hours, but you must leave it on for the Glyphosate to take effect.

Thank you :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42 »
I admit to using Resolva on some stubborn patches.

The nettles actually turned black in about 12 hours! You really must wait until they are growing well though.

bigben

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03 »
I dont know if your able to identify bindweed roots. If so then try to find out which bits if any have bindweed in them. It starts late and is a bit of a nightmare to try to cover. I had a couple of bits that I was unable to get dug last year after taking over a really overgrown allotment. I covered with cardboard and weed fabric and still found the bindweed was growing up the edges. This year I am going to lift the fabric, dig out what I can, let the bits I will miss start to grow and nuke with roundup.

A large part of my allotment suffered from brambles. A big patch that I did not have time to dig I simply covered with weed fabric after chopping the brambles down to soil level. I grew pumpkins thru the fabric really successfully and have since dug over the area. I would not have been able to do it if this bit had suffered from bindweed.

So my advice would be to id the bindweed and let it grow then nuke, id the bits that are not infested with bind weed and cover - perhaps planting thru the fabric. Good luck!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59 »
I dont know if your able to identify bindweed roots.
Light-Straw colour, might even be white / off-white, and quite fat - 2mm - 3mm - and brittle. Not fibrous.

That's from memory, not that we have any in our garden ... oh noooooo .... :D

Dom2599

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:16 »
My full plot was very over grown, last year we cleared a third and planted that up, for the rest of the year i 'controlled' the weeds, nettles etc on the rest of the plot with weed killer every couple of weeks/as and when required, worked quite well. Over this winter i have dug the full plot over with a fork, pulling out any roots i saw, i was amazed at the amount of nettle root that still looked alive after i thought i had killed it with the weed killer!

This year i'll be planting most through weed fabric, just in case i've missed weed root

mikethebrush

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 13:37 »
contact your ccouncil and ask if they can send community service up to dig the weeds out of your plot

xx
Use of Weedkiller in a Veg Plot

Started by jailbee on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 22:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
I need to clear new plot ... cardboard ?

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2018, 09:00
by snowdrops
xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
What do you do once you used weedkiller?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:21
by splodger

Page created in 0.811 seconds with 29 queries.