Best time to sow?

• 9 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Best time to sow?
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:55 »
As the weather is still bad and I'm new to this lark I was wondering what is the best time to start sowing seeds in seed trays ready for transplanting. I know seed packets have growing months etc on packaging but how many sow latter or earlier than these guidelines? Just trying to gauge this so I can work it into my weekly routine when I'm not in work taking into account that Manchester gets quite a lot of rain.

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Best time to sow?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58 »
It's usually expressed as between certain months.

For stuff that's going outside I aim for middle ground. My greenhouse is heated, so I can go for early with those plants.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 13:04 »
Thanks DD I don't have a greenhouse but could sow in seed trays in the garage which has a few plastic corrugated panels on the roof so got light coming in. What would you suggest here that I could start sowing now?

Cheers Bill

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 13:12 »
Nothing.

The light intensity will not be suffiient in there, you may think so, but your eyes adjust.

You'll need full light on a window sill minimum.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 13:13 »
Seed packet will usually have the starting time "indoors" and a separate time for "outdoors"

You need three things: Heat, Light and Space.

Heat is usually fairly easy to provide.  You might need a "warm" or "hot" temperature for germination, followed by a "not too cool / cold" temperature for growing on.  The "warm/hot" bit can be done by putting on a windowsill (cover the pot/tray in a transparent plastic bag, then you won't have to water it), or in the airing cupboard.  Check twice a day and get it out of the airing cupboard as soon as the shoots appear.

"Light" is a bit more difficult early in the season. The days are short, the sun is weak, many days are grey ...

I don't think your transparent roof is going to let in anything like enough light, even a windowsill is touch & go when starting in January or early February.

However, if you can put a strip-light just an inch or two above the seedlings (it must be THAT close!) that will make all the difference.  On a timer for 12 hours a day will do the trick.

Then you need space.  Tomato plants I start off now will be about 3' to 4' tall when I plant them in my cold greenhouse in May. I have an unheated conservatory which is warm enough to keep them growing on once they get too big for windowsills - you need to be sure you can keep the temperature above 10C for those sorts of "tender" vegetables.  (You can bring them in to the house on cold nights, of course)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 15:18 »
Ok so it looks like I will have to plant stuff straight out once the weather warms up. Not sure about using the window sill my other half has strict rules in the house and seed trays on her window sills will get me into a very big dog house  :D

Think I will just have to keep checking threads on here and follow others cues.

Cheers Bill

mikethebrush

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 15:30 »
I have started plants off this time of year before to get a good start on the plot and then in april sown direct to get a succession , it wasnt long before the second sowing was up with those I had started in feb and then transplanted and finished at the same time. so dont worry about having to wait till march to get sowing as you wont lose much time, I ffound that the only advantage to early sowings are overwintering veg that gets established and so is ready earlier in the year but I always follow these up with early sowings to get a succession as the march sown comes ready not long after the overwintering veg is harvested

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 15:32 »
Think I will just have to keep checking threads on here and follow others cues.

Apart from Info on the back of seed packets there is a chart here - which might enable you to "be prepared"? !!

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

savbo

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 16:02 »
. Not sure about using the window sill my other half has strict rules in the house and seed trays on her window sills will get me into a very big dog house  :D

I covered most available surfaces with seed trays last year and so this year I splurged out on 6x6 g'house off ebay (£100) which I will grow all but the very tenderest stuff in (sectioning off the end with bubblewrap and using an electric heater)... hopefully there will be enough light but just to be sure I'm waiting til last week of Feb...

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 16:08 »
The hardier stuff which you could sow for growing and eating now is one thing but sowing tender stuff that will be reaching for the sky, but you can't plant it out cos it's still only mid Feb, is another! Sit on your hands and do as the packet instructions tell you  :D

I started some hardy oriental leaves and a hardy leaf mix into full sized seed trays in the cold greenhouse which once they've grown will be eaten.   Full light of the greenhouse is required and it's cool so a windowsill in the kitchen would be just too hot

I've sown some Advantage cabbage which you can sow from Jan but again in the cold greenhouse, not in the warm of the house  :)

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Looks like my time is up

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 11:12
by Grubbypaws
xx
Next time

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 16:18
by boosh
xx
How Much Time?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 22:40
by gobs

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 29 queries.