Clearing My Allotment

• 8 Replies

nickmcmechan

Clearing My Allotment
« on: February 06, 2011, 14:27 »
So, started work opn the Allotment yesterday for the first time.

The top end near the boundary the trees is where the previous owner had compost bins, his shed (not there anymore) and general...well...dodo...

This is where I want to put my apple trees so I sarted to rake. Quickly discovered there was a lot of rubble, sand, plastic bags, weed cover sheets etc etc. Turned out to be a big job. Its then I realised last owner was a quick fix man, which is proven after I was in touch with the Allotment Association Chairman (the previous tenant had rotivated couch grass to get rid of it........ :nowink:.)

So, I'm looking at the rest of the allotment and I think....WOW....thats a lof of weed to clear.  :ohmy:

Its mainly Couch Grass and the advice seems to be to fork it out. OMG ???

So, here's the plan, which I would value your opinion on - Will It Work???? :unsure:

1. Cover the allotment with a good dose of glyphosphate

2. Immediately top off all of the allotment with horse manure (I know somewhere locally where I can get loads!  ;))

3. Straight afterwards cover the whole lot with thick black plastic sheeting

4. Six weeks later remove the sheeting and rotivate

5. The following week start planting

Thoughts?  ???

Please!!! :) :) :)

fatbelly

Re: Clearing My Allotment
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 14:35 »
Seems like a good idea, could you wait a bit longer in-between steps one and two and allow the Glyphosphate a bit more time before covering.

Also Glyphosphate works best when the weed is actively growing so that means at least the middle of March, if you don't wait then the Glyphosphate won't be nearly as efficient as it could be and you will waste some money and importantly in the end actual growing time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 14:41 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 14:35 »
it is so hard to advise about your options listed, although if it were me I would recommend digging out and clearing small bits at a time and thoroughly - that way you can plant in the cleared area and there is not a "dead time" for many weeks while you wait for weeds to die off.

Or perhaps cover half of it while you work on the other half.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 14:38 »
It falls down at step 1.

Weeds need to be growing actively for glyphosaste to work.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 14:39 »
Fatbelly's right.
It's too early to glyphosate, the weeds have to be actively growing before you spray and then you have to leave them for 2 weeks for it to work down and kill the roots.

If/when the soil is workable, could you fork the roots out of some of it, while you wait to spray? This way you could get at least get a bit manured etc now.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 14:40 »
Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I'm happy to have down time as the Weather up this way means that everything is sown about 3-4 weeks later than down South so it lines up with when I would get started anyway

What I'm trying to do is save all the digging out of the couch weed - believe me its actively frowing now!!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 14:47 »
You wait until it really gets going!

Togalosh

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 18:13 »
Hiya Nick,

I'm going into my 3rd season now & like most of us I inherited 1/2 of a tip. So based on my recent experience on clay soil:

You've to wait til things start to grow before you can nuke 'em.  Spuds are due in before that so I'd pick the least covered area, test for PH & see if there's remnants of recent spud planting & start there if none are found(I got holy spuds because I didn't care - I just planted).

I covered all & did bit by bit, the cover softened the soil but kept it nice & dry to work on.
I got my other 1/2 to pick the roots out as I did the hard turning over & clod bashing. It went surprisingly fast - & especially for a complete novice. I lost count of the bin loads of 30 year old detritis.

Weeds will always grow back so don't get too fussy & freash manure needs time to rot.

Before you start take some photo's ! Come mid summer you won't believe the difference.

Good luck

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 19:09 »
Either:

Dig it all carefully, and remove every root your see.  This is a good approach, but is daunting for most newbies (and, of course an experienced gardener will know which roots are "trouble" and which are not)

or:

Wait until its growing well, Glyphosate, leave alone for a couple of weeks, then rotavate / dig / etc.

That delay may mean that you don't get some of the very early crops in ... BUT ... they will be things like early spuds that will run the risk of having their tops killed by Frost, and will be on your table perhaps 2 weeks earlier than "normal" crops.  Its not a lot to forgo, in your first year, in my opinion.

Beware that some pernicious weeds are quite slow to make an appearance - Bindweed for example, so your application of Glyphosate at the earliest sensible opportunity may well not kill of some lurking monsters.

For a new allotment I think that covering with weed suppressing membrane and planting through it is a good idea. (You could use cardboard instead of buying "membrane", but do NOT use Carpet)

Do whatever you can (e.g. Glyphosate in March - mulch with plenty of manure) and then cover, and plant through that cover material.

Squash is a great crop for this scenario - relatively few plants required, quiet a long way apart (they sprawl over a large area). You can make a planting hole, through the membrane, incorporate manure etc., in the planting hole and then plant-a-plant. After one year of being covered with membrane most weeds will have given up the ghost.

But you won't have a full range of Veg. in your first year.

You can do some-and-some.  Carefully dig, and remove weed roots, from whatever area you can and then, come March, move to chemical treatment for the remainder.  Plant the first area with Veg plants "as normal", and use Squash etc. for the chemical-patch.

For open soil cultivation Potatoes are regarded as a good crop for "clearing a new plot". Their foliage is dense, which suppresses weeds, and the act of "earthing up" kills off any weed seedlings that attempt to grow.

xx
allotment clearing

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 07:32
by cadalot
xx
allotment clearing

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 21:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Clearing the allotment

Started by andyhardy5 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 06:27
by Growster...
question
Clearing Allotment

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 13:23
by Wild Pony

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 38 queries.