I've waited until Feb to ask... what can I sow!!!

• 13 Replies

Casey76

I've waited until Feb to ask... what can I sow!!!
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:56 »
The garden centres are full of pots and compost and propagators etc... I have a whole bunch of seeds left over from last year (in a cool dark place!)

After all the hacking down I've done over the past few weeks, I'm (overly) eager to get things growing again.

however... I'm relegated to pots this year... the chooks have the "growing" part of my garden all to themselves this year.

aaaaaaaanything I can start off yet, or must i sit on my hands a little longer?  ::)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: I've waited until Feb to ask... what can I sow!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27 »
My sowing schedule is here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56389.msg800654#msg800654

but I've only got things for growing on in the greenhouse planned for February.

Successional sowings of Carrots and Cauliflower during the month though

If you haven't sown Onions or a "Winter" variety of Broad Beans (like Aquadulce) in pots / modules then I expect there is still time.

Soil still too cold for much to germinate if sown directly in the soil though, and light not strong / long enough for Windowsill to easily bring things on without them getting "leggy"

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29 »
as Casey76 is in France somewhere her sewing schedule may differ from the UK (handy list though Kristen).
Has the risk of frost gone yet from your area Casey?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45 »
Has the risk of frost gone yet from your area Casey?

he he hehehe he he hehehehehehehehe

The ground is frozen solid at the moment with daytime highs of minus temps.  Our snow season hasn't really *started* yet. 

Put it this way... I can't get Metaposts into the ground at the moment to divide the chicken pen up... I was really looking for ideas of what I could start off indoors  :tongue2:

Risk of frost is usually negligable by May... though you never know.  In May it could be snowing or it could be 30*C  who knows ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53 »
wow I thought your weather would be warmer than ours  :ohmy:
in which case Kristen's list may help you after all  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 13:07 »
as Casey76 is in France somewhere her sewing schedule may differ from the UK (handy list though Kristen).
Completely missed that, thanks.  I'll try to concentrate more in future!

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 13:14 »
Don't worry about it Kristen :) I'm being very imaptient... winter seems to have been very long already and I want it to go away!

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 18:35 »
The garden centres are full of pots and compost and propagators etc... I have a whole bunch of seeds left over from last year (in a cool dark place!)

After all the hacking down I've done over the past few weeks, I'm (overly) eager to get things growing again.

however... I'm relegated to pots this year... the chooks have the "growing" part of my garden all to themselves this year.

aaaaaaaanything I can start off yet, or must i sit on my hands a little longer?  ::)

Alsace in France - how lovely but cold I would guess.
I have sown Brussels Sprout, Lettuce Butterhead, Leeks, Garlic (very French), Onions (also very French), Cauliflower, Summer Cabbage, Sweet Peppers and Radish so far. Got Turnips and Shallot sets to do. :D
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Junie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 18:47 »
I'm in South West France and colder than the UK at the moment  :(   until the weekend then the forecast says we take over and go into the mid teens!! :tongue2:

I have just planted lavender, and onion seeds in side and have listed spring onions to go in next week ( will put up a little tunnel while it is warmer I think, but though I would see how it goes!)

Later in the month I will try Tomatillo and Aubergines.

I want to try and get them potted on and outside before the slugs really take hold as I lost so many last year.

May work, may not!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 18:54 »
The monthly growing guides on the main site can be found here:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

It might be worth a browse there, and perhaps moving dates forward by a couple of weeks if your last frost date is in May.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 20:26 »
And of course the good old Sowing & Harvest chart:

Sowing and Harvest Chart

I won't be sowing my sprouts until April. I find that if the plant matures too early, whilst the weather is still warm, you are prone to getting 'blown' brussels.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27 »
Interesting. Had my best sprouts ever a couple of years ago, and I was so late I bought plants at the garden centre.

Ever since mine have always been a "bit blown"

I'll try staggered sowing this year.

scousemouse

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 13:32 »
That 'garden month' by John H is very interesting.  I didn't realise you could start lettuce, rocket and radish this early in the greenhouse.  Cheshire isn't far away from me.

I'm putting tarpaulin 'seed beds' (for want of a better expression) filled with multi-purpose in my cold greenhouse.  Could I sow the lettuce, rocket and radish in one of those and still expect them to grow in the cold greenhouse at this time of year?  ???

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 19:06 »
I saved the seed from my rocket that bolted last autumn and sprinkled it outside where I wanted it to grow this year. I have had one lot come up and perish about a month ago. More is coming through now and it looks like it might survive. I might put a cloche over it once the gale force has quietened down :lol:

I love rocket but cannot get it to germinate from packeted seed. I bought some plants back in autumn 2009 from Been & Queued ( they were end of season sale) they overwintered and went right through last year until they bolted. I will let some of this year's go to seed to start cycle off again.

I'm in yorkshire so it's probably a similar temperature here or perhaps a bit colder than you due to hills. Haven't tried the other things you mention though so no advice to offer on that.

xx
Raspberry help - how long should i have waited?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 14:43
by bigben

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 29 queries.