Raspberries

• 13 Replies

Lardman

Raspberries
« on: February 05, 2011, 14:53 »
Forgot to prune my canes down last year. They're supposed to be a mix of early, mid / late but I've lost the labels (as you do).

Is it too late to cut them all down this year? They look to have just start to form buds.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:17 by DD. »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberrys
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 15:07 »
Can you remember what sort of % split you had betwen the different fruiting times?

By pruning now you'll lose the summer fruiting ones, probably, but the autumn varieties will be fine.  If you had 75% of the former and 25% of the latter, I'd leave it.  If the reverse, go for it.  If 50/50, then who knows?  (Hopefully someone else will  :D )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 15:14 »
Hedge your bets by tidying up (i.e. shortening to 4' or so) all of them, but cutting down any looking particularly knackered, or those still bearing the attached evidence that they fruited last year (the autumn fruiters should produce a small early crop on the old canes before the autumn crop proper on new canes.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 15:19 »
33%/33%/33%  :D Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

I left them last year as I couldn't tell they seemed to fruit randomly  :unsure:  I think I can tell there are 3 type but if its Russian roulette would it be better to leave them and at least get some fruit ?

I did the same with the Currants the year before, think I better go and make some proper wooden markers for the blueberry bushes before I misplace their labels too.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 17:17 »
Prune anything that still has signs of the fruit it bore last year - that will mean all your Autumn fruiting will be cut to the ground,. and 50% of your Summer fruiting (i.e. the ones that fruited last year, but not the ones that will fruit this year)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 17:49 »
Lardman I am in the same boat. I have one loganberry and 3 raspberries which I have lost the label to and can't remember what they were, I think they were all the same.

I was wondering about leaving them all unpruned. Perhaps I could prune just one or two. I can't really see signs of last year's fruit but htey were only planted last year and didn't produce much.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 17:57 »
Hedge your bets by tidying up (i.e. shortening to 4' or so) all of them, but cutting down any looking particularly knackered, or those still bearing the attached evidence that they fruited last year (the autumn fruiters should produce a small early crop on the old canes before the autumn crop proper on new canes.)

if you read what JayG has put you should be ok  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 18:11 »
a friend who has moved into a new house asked me to find out about his rasberry's not a clue to variety so am glad of this question ,  so i think what jayg has mentioned will do for me , a bit of a trim i think :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 18:16 »
Forgot to prune my canes down last year. They're supposed to be a mix of early, mid / late but I've lost the labels (as you do).

Is it too late to cut them all down this year? They look to have just start to form buds.

I am late every year on mine, but Autumn ones should only be done now anyhow, cut to the ground. Summer should have been done a while ago, but again we just cut ours to about 4". Do the same every year, weed and mulch with muck and they still come up.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 18:24 »
Lardman I am in the same boat. I have one loganberry and 3 raspberries which I have lost the label to and can't remember what they were, I think they were all the same.

I was wondering about leaving them all unpruned. Perhaps I could prune just one or two. I can't really see signs of last year's fruit but htey were only planted last year and didn't produce much.

The logan berry will have big thorns on and long runners which do self set(like strawberries if yoy don't tie them up). I have logan berry, currants on one row of stakes and wires, with Summer raspberries one end and Autumn another end on yet another row of stakes and wires.
Your currants should be pruned too.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 20:50 »
Thanks virginveggrower I had realised the loganberry was the thorned one, but I didn't realise they set from the ends as well as sending out runners. I might let a couple of this year's long ones set, as it wold be nice to have more than one plant. Thanks for that.

I also grow blackcurrents and have been very remiss in not pruning those, will get out my book on fruit for advice I expect i justcut out last year's old stems.

I have just planted 2 cherry trees 'sunburst' and 'celeste' both on dwarf rootstock. Doing more fruit this year, it's less time consuming in long term and so expensive in the supermarkets. Sorry that's a bit off topic  :unsure:

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 23:46 »
Thanks virginveggrower I had realised the loganberry was the thorned one, but I didn't realise they set from the ends as well as sending out runners. I might let a couple of this year's long ones set, as it wold be nice to have more than one plant. Thanks for that.

I also grow blackcurrents and have been very remiss in not pruning those, will get out my book on fruit for advice I expect i justcut out last year's old stems.

I have just planted 2 cherry trees 'sunburst' and 'celeste' both on dwarf rootstock. Doing more fruit this year, it's less time consuming in long term and so expensive in the supermarkets. Sorry that's a bit off topic  :unsure:

You have until around March with a blackcurrant and with the bad frosts I would be tempted to wait as they are not as hardy as the red/white currants. I have wrapped mine in fleece :D

Good luck with your cherry trees. I would love to grow a standard but they grow so big. I used to live in Turkey and every garden had one, but best give some shelter, ie against a south facing wall/shed maybe.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:58 »
33%/33%/33%  biggrin Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

I think these are all summer fruiting types so you want to keep last years canes and remove older ones. Last years canes will not have any side shoots, unless you took out the growing tip during last summer

Mark-S

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 17:01 »

In stuations like this my only comment would be -  what would happen naturally? 

So consider would the plants be cut down?
If not would they still bear fruit, albeit less profusely?

Natures a wonderful tool - its people that often muck it up.....
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

question
Raspberries

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 08:43
by barney rubble
xx
Raspberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 22:35
by Elaine G
xx
Raspberries

Started by Shrugg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2021, 15:00
by Growster...
xx
raspberries

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:38
by IanYORK

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 29 queries.