Chickens still not well .please advise

• 13 Replies

leddenton

Chickens still not well .please advise
« on: February 04, 2011, 20:07 »
Have posted last week about my 2 girls having yellow poo and messy vents. They had been wormed but I rewormed them as suggested. They are still not right.They are 3 yrs old,have not laid for months. they are not eating but are drinking(have vitamin supppliment added.Have left them with layers for a week with no titbits but they are still not eating and are very thin. Have given them some mealworms today which they picked at. what would be a high calorie feed as do they need layers now they have retired. any advise much appreciated

orchardlady

Re: Chickens still not well .please advise
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 20:10 »
You could try them on growers pellets or just corn. Maybe a little tinned tuna in spring water might tempt them? You may find that they have some kind of infection. Perhaps take them to the vet early next week if they are not eating.

OL

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 20:13 »
I would get them to a vets asap as they have been ill for a while. what breed are they?
Staffies are softer than you think.

leddenton

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 21:37 »
They are hydrids lowman brown/silver

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 21:51 »
lohmans are really a commercial bird and the farmers get rid of them at around 72 weeks, after this the egg shell can deteriorate. I would get the vet to check for egg peritonitis.

leddenton

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21 »
Thanks for advise. Would they have peritonitis if they have not laid for 6months?

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:30 »
I would reiterate wat others have said. Chickens do not show ailments at the begining of an illness but at the end. Yours have been poorly for a long time in a chickens life.

Also have you tried the warm bath for ten minutes. Are they walking around or just sitting down. I brought one of my poorlys indoors over night and that helped her. She had one to one spoiling and soon started to eat.

If they have not laid for 6 months they might still get peritonitis as they can lay the odd egg or not in this case.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:05 »
they would have stopped laying for the winter so as Rachelr has said it could be the first eggs of the season. They really do need a vet as without seeing the birds we can only hazzard a guess as to the problem.

leddenton

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:46 »
Thanks for advise will get them to vets Monday

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:23 »
Yes a vets visit is probably best.  A growers feed or even a turkey growers or finisher is high in protein but I'd probably try chx growers but make sure it's not medicated.

How did you worm these given they aren't eating?
HF
Truth through science.

leddenton

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 15:06 »
Managed to mix with corn and puy in tomato which they ate a few days ago. No better today even left meal worms

leddenton

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 21:57 »
Thought would post update. took both girls to vet and they were too ill to treat and had to be destroyed.Vet said it was infection as the breed is only meant to be in the commercial market and are prone to peritonitis. Feel very dispondent at getting anymore chickens as all 3 of mine have now gone the same way and I can't help thinking i must have done something wrong. thanks for any advise given.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 22:22 »
sadly this happens fairly regular in birds that are bred to lay eggs quickly in such a short space of time (pure breeds tend to lay less often but over a longer period of time). Don't beat yourself up over it but learn from it. You are obviously a very caring owner and can offer a loving home to some new hens in the future xx

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 00:56 »
Sorry to hear this but thanks for letting us know.  I'm affraid Joy is quite right commercial hybrid layers even if they haven't been used in battery units are still not as robust as native free range pure breeds.  They pay a price for all those eggs laid early in life.

In future I'd get hybrids reared for the hobbyist market or a pure breed and I'm sure they will be healthier for longer.  Bantams will live even longer and can live for over ten years.

HF

xx
considering getting chickens advise very much welcome.

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 18:45
by poultrygeist
xx
Mixing new chickens. Please advise.

Started by Littlemisspepperpot on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2021, 14:42
by grinling
xx
Over wintering chickens at home - any advise?

Started by snow white on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 10:16
by joyfull
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 37 queries.