cleaning mud off spuds??

• 9 Replies

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
cleaning mud off spuds??
« on: August 07, 2007, 00:20 »
after digging up the rest of our spuds they were covered in wet mud, they been allowed to dry on/covered in sheets of news paper,but now have clumps of dried mud stuck to them.
will it be all right to store them like this or does it need to be removed and if so how do i get it of??
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

WG.

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 00:21 »
leave on the mud.  Washing reduces storage life.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:28 »
Well I don't know what I did wrong, I let mine dry out, stored them in a brown bag and a week later half of them were rotten and mouldy.. i nearly cried!, lost much of the yeild to blight, and then more to.... dunno.... never mind, live and learn eh?

wildeone

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39 »
From what i've read on here you can't store potatoes that have blight! As the spores spread rotting the whole bag!  I really hope you can save some of your harvest ........ cooking and freezing mash etc might be the only way!

Jx

WG.

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:30 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Well I don't know what I did wrong, I let mine dry out, stored them in a brown bag and a week later half of them were rotten and mouldy.. i nearly cried!, lost much of the yeild to blight, and then more to.... dunno.... never mind, live and learn eh?
Yup, blight I'm afraid.

muntjac

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:32 »
i hose pipe mine after i get em home into a washing basket . dry em very well on the lawn and then bag em up and they survive me right through tiill spring.i check em out every other week emptying the bag out and checking each spud .i lose maybe half a sack from 10,same with farm cadged ones
still alive /............

Trillium

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 17:19 »
Touch wood we don't get blight here. When we dig out our spuds, we let them air dry on the ground for a few hours then pull off any chunks of mud or soil. Don't want to store the dirt as it will soak up moisture in storage and cause rot. If the spud is only dusty, we leave them. We store in hessian bags, but I have better luck in big slatted wooden boxes raised off the floor an inch or 2 in my storage cellar. Lots of air circulates and slows any possible spoiling. It's also less work to see what is going bad and pull those out asap. Onions are on slatted shelves in a single layer.

wellingtons

I keep a washing up brush in the shed ...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 09:47 »
... and give my spuds a once over with that if they need it.  No water, just the brush.

But I've got sandy aluvial soil so it just falls off anyway.

Annie

cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 14:26 »
I don`t normally wash my spuds but I am doing those that had blighted foliage this year just so I can remove any with dark bits and those little tel tail black sunken spots and am also storing these in boxes again to make regular checking easier.All the earlies are hung up in hessian sacks,unwashed.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
cleaning mud off spuds??
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 22:55 »
When I dug up my earlies which I thought only the tops had caught a bit of blight, I didn't wash the mud off as I thought once dry it would help protect them.  but a week later when I went to check them in their big pots covered in dry shavings, most of them were rotten.

So today when I dug up the rest of my Desiree as its been 3 weeks since I chopped their blighted tops off, I brushed any dirt off so I could see which ones were okay.  

I was fairly pleased at 35lbs of potatoes from 19 seed spuds, especially as the tops were blighted.  I thought I'd lose a lot more than I have.  Some of them have a bit of blight, but I'll chop the good bits off and use them first.

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Cleaning the greenhouse

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 15:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
cleaning tools

Started by tully on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 20:45
by gobs
xx
Cleaning my pots.

Started by pennsylvania planters on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 22:29
by pennsylvania planters

Page created in 0.866 seconds with 36 queries.