Rasberries and strawberries

• 17 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Rasberries and strawberries
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:17 »
I have recently planted a bed full of raspberry canes, but it is looking so empty with so much spare space, would i be able to underplant the bed with strawberries under the rasberries? Would that work? :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Rasberries and strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:22 »
Not really, as the raspberries will soon spread themselves out and you'll have to avoid treading on the strawberries to pick the raspberries.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24 »
Given the spread of new growth on raspberry canes I would think that you would soon find it unworkable for strawberries to be directly around the canes.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25 »
I believe I said that!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40 »
As this is a strawberry related query i'll hijack Jamie's thread for just a mo if i may? I bought some strawberry plants yesterday on T&M and noticed on one or two of the varieties it mentions a bit about 'further propagation prohibited; for home gardening use only' I understand that pro growers are forbidden to propagate them on further but does that apply to us allotmenter's with regards to taking the runners off and growing them on? Any info appreciated, thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51 »
I bet one of the varieties is "Irresisible".

We have discussed this on here before and someone did post a link to show that it's OK for home gardeners, but I can't find it now!

Don't try & sell any though!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06 »

We have discussed this on here before and someone did post a link to show that it's OK for home gardeners, but I can't find it now!

Thanks DD (sorry for duplicate post) I'll not be selling any as they'll be eaten before we get home knowing my two boys......  :nowink:

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26 »

thing is, just about every question has been asked on this forum before! Where does the line get drawn?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30 »
That was not intended to read as "don't" post, but that there is a link in existence somewhere that relates to the legislation.

I couldn't immediately find it, but maybe the OP could, given that I know there's something to look for.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34 »
That was not intended to read as "don't" post, but that there is a link in existence somewhere that relates to the legislation.

I couldn't immediately find it, but maybe the OP could, given that I know there's something to look for.

Sadly I have all but given up on the search facility here as it is rarely that effective. But it has turned up a few gems along the way.

If I need guidance or info I will scan merely the first and 2nd main pages of the main forum to see if there is a response relating to the query. If not, and life is far too short to go into any indepth manual search, it will be a new post.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59 »
If not, and life is far too short to go into any indepth manual search, it will be a new post.

It's good job members don't adopt the "life's too short" attitude when it comes to answering questions!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:02 »
If not, and life is far too short to go into any indepth manual search, it will be a new post.

It's good job members don't adopt the "life's too short" attitude when it comes to answering questions!

Dave, your informative responses are truly welcomed by novices such as myself! Please don't think 'life's too short' or we'll all be floundering in leggy tomatoes etc  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 12:10 »
Don't worry I won't.

As has been commented on here, I've invested heavily in a few bauxite mining companies.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 13:56 »
Lol. How I love the prissy response :)

Dont get me wrong - the wealth on answers on here and the interaction are (often) wonderful and this is one of the better forums for allotments, but do you expect members to plough through literally hundreds of pages of threads to find one answer. Sure, you can expect to scan down a few pages to see to avoid a duplication of a post that was made 2 minutes ago but not scan through ALL those pages and read all those threads. If that were the case, then there would of course be no other threads appearing as all answers to the questions posed are set in stone lurking many pages in the past.....!!!!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 13:59 by Ian_A »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 17:08 »
Thank you for your useful comments Ian A.

(That's another name on the list ;) )

xx
rasberries

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 18:35
by DD.
xx
Rasberries

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 16:42
by andtiggertoo
xx
RASBERRIES HELP

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 18:54
by noshed
xx
Rasberries

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:30
by Kristen

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 29 queries.