Feature log stack

• 15 Replies

EddieJ

Feature log stack
« on: January 30, 2011, 15:24 »
For far to many Sundays I have been splitting and stacking logs, and today has seen almost an end to all of my effort. I reckon that another two Sundays and the feature log stack will be finished.

And this is what I have achieved today!! :)

There is still more to do, but at least the basic shape is coming along.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 15:27 by EddieJ »

Trillium

Re: Feature log stack
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 16:21 »
Very interesting, Eddie, but I must admit it's an awful lot of work for stacking firewood  ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 17:13 »
We go through ours too quickly to build anything with it!  :ohmy:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rainie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 17:49 »
Its a great feature and I'm sure fun to build  :D  Ours gets sawn and split, stacked in a barrow, carted and tipped then stacked in the small shed. Keeps us warm as I am sure yours has whilst you built it.  :)  What/who gave you the idea to build it?
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

EddieJ

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 18:03 »
We go through ours too quickly to build anything with it!  :ohmy:

The above has used approx 18 cubic metres of logs, and we have approx another 30 cubic metres tucked away drying. :) Luckily for me, getting 'free' oak firewood isn't a problem. :)

What/who gave you the idea to build it?

The idea came late last year when I made the last log stack in the mum-in-laws garden.

I'm always thinking of new ideas for fun garden features, and also new places to put seats and benches. Making the above has also planted a seed in my mind for a piece of garden art using the bent and twisted pieces of knotty wood that are always hard to split, but that is another day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 18:06 by EddieJ »

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 19:40 »
Wow, fabulous!  :)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Junie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 20:14 »
That is a fantastic idea

Must show the OH ;)

EddieJ

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 21:13 »
This one is better, and what a superb imagination. :)

I'd love to be able to think up and make a creation like that. There is some very talented people out there. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 23:09 »
They're very beautiful and so clever. I stacked my own chopped logs and it took me ages but it was very relaxing and quite therapeutic. Used up all too quickly though but the one shown on your pic, by the shed, is do-able and has inspired me to have a go. Ta  :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:39 »
You're right, the last one is a real beauty.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:22 »
Wow!  What an amazing thing to do with a log stack!  it had never occurred to me to make a work of art out of firewood...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 07:27 »
Fantastic Eddie, speaking as somebody who has done a bit of dry stone walling I am really impressed with the neatness and workmanship. Also I love the fallen tree very impressive. Makes my parabags of chopped wood look very boring - note to self and OH - must get creative next winter  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Junie

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:35 »
Trying to think of ideas now!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:47 »
Fantastic creations, but are they actually destined to be "used" after all the hard work that went into them?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

EddieJ

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 20:19 »

Many thanks for the positive replies. :)

Fantastic Eddie, speaking as somebody who has done a bit of dry stone walling I am really impressed with the neatness and workmanship. Also I love the fallen tree very impressive. Makes my parabags of chopped wood look very boring - note to self and OH - must get creative next winter  :)

:D :D :D I think that if I was the OH, I would ask for either a quickie divorce, or make out that I had a wrist injury or bad back.
Other than basic sandstone, I have never done any dry stone walling. It is something that has always fascinated me though, and from speaking to others, it isn't quite as straight forward or easy as it would first appear.

Fantastic creations, but are they actually destined to be "used" after all the hard work that went into them?

Mine is definitely going to be burnt. I don't know whether it could be classified as art, but assuming that it is, I have always felt that art becomes stale after a while and needs to evolve or change. I'm going to give it perhaps four years before I start to use it as fire wood.
I have a very bad fault, in that once something is built my interest  goes instantly and I need to move onto the next thing. I also have a very bad habit of never being happy with what I make or create, and this is sadly no exception.  I intend to finish the project over the next couple of weekends, but the initial buzz and excitement has already gone.

xx
Bathroom sink pond feature - help!

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 08:58
by stickmeup

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 37 queries.