Aaarrghh - water logged plot

• 14 Replies

mattyslsot

Aaarrghh - water logged plot
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:54 »
Went over the allotment on Sunday and it was water logged.  Well more like a fishing lake.  Im going to have to put raised beds in but what do you guys use to bring the soil level up?  Compost or topsoil?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 19:07 by Aunt Sally »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Aaarrghh
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 13:20 »
What is causing the flooding (apart from the rain  :tongue2: )? If its just compacted soil then double digging and drainage trenches might sort it (worked for me  :) )
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mattyslsot

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 14:25 »
Im new to the plot and the guy next to me said that the end we are at always gets water logged as were at the bottom of the slope.  Plus it is clay soil 2 spits below the surface.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 14:37 »
Wonder if you could dig drainage ditches, using the good soil to make raised "lazy" beds?

(I've got the opposite problem to yours so probably best to wait for someone who really knows what he/she is talking about!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 14:39 »
Our site has a flooding problem, we also are basically clay.  I have built some raised beds where needed and used manure / old compost to raise the level.  I have also raised the level elsewhere by adding loads and loads of manure over the last couple of years.  It breaks the clay up, improving drainage and puts nutrients into the soil.

When I took over my plot the ones surrounding me were unused and overgrown, now they have been cleared it is quite obvious that my plot is about 6 inches higher than those around me,  guess whose plot doesn't flood too badly now :)

bigben

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 14:56 »
Diggin out the soil from the paths between beds and putting that into the beds themselves will raise the level. Either with edges or like JayG suggests lazy beds ie raised beds without edges.

As far as any extras to add - without knowing what your soil is like it is hard to know. If it is waterlogged then it might be clay so organic stuff will help. Last time I was at B &Q I noticed how cheap sharp sand was and thought about using some to top up my baths for growing carrots in. It might help your drainage. If you can get free horse muck that will also help for most crops ( not roots).

Brummie

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 16:15 »
Went over the allotment on Sunday and it was water logged.  Well more like a fishing lake.  Im going to have to put raised beds in but what do you guys use to bring the soil level up?  Compost or topsoil?

I have exactly the same problem, I'm currently double digging and putting in drainage ditches which seems to be helping so far... but it is back-breaking work!!!!!
It can't rain all the time.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 17:32 »
I'm on heavy clay, and flat, so the water hasn't any where to go (but I'm not at the bottom of a hill getting everyone else's water too! and certainly not lake-like)

I made lazy raised beds (4' wide) from digging a spit deep for the paths (18" wide). That gives the water somewhere to go. I've added organic material each year (4th year now), and the beds very usable - surprised me that I was able to rotavate the bed for Garlic a week or two back. We never walk on the beds - which avoids them becoming compacted

You could also run in some perforated-drainage pipe if you need to shift some water too (either to a ditch, or if its flat you'll have to make a soak-away)

Some good info on this site:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain03.htm

Totty

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 19:03 »
I would make your beds, double dig, add as much ccompost and maure as you can, then never walk on them again. Keep adding organic material year on year and in a couple of seasons yor beds at least should be much better.

Totty

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Re: Aaarrghh - water logged plot
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 20:12 »
Had a similar problem when I got my plot, OH was persuaded to make raised beds - the previous user had attempted to make a drainage ditch but it used up to much space.  We used soil from paths to fill beds and usually put loads of compost in every year as we have clay.  The raised beds have saved the plot from being flooded. Good Luck - it was hard work but now I can see the effort was worth it.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

mattyslsot

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50 »
Right I have decided what to do after having no luck on getting scaffolding boards and the wood in B&Q being very expensive.

I came across these whilst busy at work ;)

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Raised_Bed_Gardening_Timber_Raised_Beds/GDN-470.htm

Allotment timber raised beds, work out at £32 for a bed 4ft(w) x 8ft(l) x 15cm.  I looked at wood in B&Q and the cost was more for the quality of boards I was looking at.  Plus they come with posts and screws.

Will buy 2 a month as cash is a bit tight and also to ofset the £12 delivery charge.

Now to find a good and cheapish topsoil provider.  Each bed will need 450 Litres of soil approx.

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 17:49 »
Go to a decent timber yard and you will pick up the the timber for a third of what you are going to pay, also you can have the beds a size that suits your plot. Try Ebay there is loads of reclaimed timber going cheap and a guy in Dartford does 1 tonne bags of rotted manure for £15 + delivery.

beaker141

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 21:40 »
Go to a decent timber yard and you will pick up the the timber for a third of what you are going to pay, also you can have the beds a size that suits your plot. Try Ebay there is loads of reclaimed timber going cheap and a guy in Dartford does 1 tonne bags of rotted manure for £15 + delivery.

I have made 8ft * 5ft beds, 30cm high. Admitedly they are a little on the wide side but at that size they fitted 4 accross the plot with 40cm paths in between. I didnt want to lose more space by trying to get 5 wide.

I got the wood from a local timber merchant, faxed them a cutting list for 4 of the beds and picked it up the next day. The pre assembled the sides at home, carted them down to the allotment, built them up and dug them in.

Cutting list and prices as follows, although i just got some more last week and the price has gone up accross the board, perhpas the wholesale price of timber has gone up, but it added less than about 20% to each bed.

Cutting List & rough price per bed (Atlantic Timber - Altrincham -  July 10) =
2"*2" PAR Tanalised 6*60cm (£3.24)
6"*1" Sawn Tanalised 4*2.35m (£9.60), 4*1.8m (£7.20)
Total Cost per bed = £20.04

Picture attached if it works.....
raised beds (540 x 406).jpg

mattyslsot

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:11 »
Finally got my wood being delivered on Sat morning.

£128 for 5 beds at 10ft * 4ft.

Also got 2 tonnes of topsoil already on the plot waiting to fill them.

There is a lot of marestail/horsetail on the plot, is it ok to place cardboard in the bottom and then fill to surpress the weeds?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 22:15 »
It won't do any harm but be prepared for it not to stop the weed either.  Bear in mind that marestail is a prehistoric plant which can grow through concrete ...

Eventually you will need to continue weeding it from the beds.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Plot Water logged

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 16:49
by cawdor2001
xx
1/3 of plot is water-logged

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 08:42
by Toosje
xx
water logged

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 22:55
by Yorkie
xx
Water Logged Garlic

Started by LittleRedHen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 10:11
by Diddy Gardener

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 32 queries.