Rubbery egg

• 6 Replies

zoggett

Rubbery egg
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:30 »
Hi there about 2 weeks ago Bramble started laying(she is approx 7 months old) we have had an egg from her most days but then yesterday and today she has laid what feels like a rubbery egg which is almost see through. She is fed on layers pellets, am I doing something wrong?
Debbie

Pol

• Pauline
Re: Rubbery egg
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50 »
Hi, Do you give then grit and chrushed oyste shells in there diet,
Have a look at this site, Problems with egg a list of problems and causes www.blpbooks.co.uk/articles/egg it may help
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48 »
Hi Zoggett, to lay a soft shelled (or shell less) eggs when coming into lay is perfectly normal, and is the result of the reproductive tract just getting used to working.

If your chickens are being fed on good quality layers pellets (or mash) they you won't need to supplement anything unless it happens on a regular basis (after the first few weeks of laying).

:)

zoggett

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 19:35 »
Thanks Casey I havent been adding any grit as they free range and I get my pellets from BATA so should be good quality.
Somebody else told me today that she thought it was just her getting into her stride.

Debs

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 23:39 »
Several of my hens laid eggs like this but only at point of lay,
They are fine now.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 00:04 »
mine are free range but they get grit anyway, they need it for digestion, they also have calcified seawood available, I bought a sack for the field and found the hens like it.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34 »
Hi again, even if your hens free range they stil need grit.  It is the grit which grinds up the food in the gizzard.  When you buy it do not buy "mixed poultry grit" which is a mix of grit and (often) mostly broken cockle shells, which do very little at all. ;)

Page created in 0.545 seconds with 29 queries.