What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

lizzie1982

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #315 on: February 12, 2011, 16:39 »
Today I was expecting to see a right state, but fortunately it wasn't too bad :)
Mares Tail have sprung up in the beds that I had dug over 3 weeks ago, so today I roped in my hubby to pull up the weeds :)
He also dug over one bed- approx. 4ft x 10ft, and i tipped on some manure.
We dug over the boys' patch - approx. 2ft x 4ft and manured that too.

The boys have decided that they are going to create a wildlife pond and were collecting stones and rocks from the other plot holders, and bringing them back in the wheelbarrow.

It is forecast heavy rain tomorrow (typical of the North West) so I doubt we will be there at all.
We have planted a lot of seeds in my indoor greenhouse this morning:
Courgettes, Aubergine, Cucumber, Sweetcorn, Imperial Longpod Broad Beans, Purple Podded Peas, Sweet red cherry peppers and Beetroot. So hopefully by the time the weather gets hotter, we will have baby plants to put in the allotment.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #316 on: February 12, 2011, 17:51 »
Just a general potter today.  Hoe'd last years squash bed of nettles and de-grassed some beds i put in last year but never got round to using, its gonna be back breaking the amount of stones in there :blink:

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #317 on: February 12, 2011, 17:59 »
Well the sun shone so off I popped to my lottie  :). Being N facing makes it a bit shadey. Funnily enough the more shaded soil was quite workable in comparison to where the sun fell. I could've dug half of those raspberry canes out if I'd taken my spade  :wub: Anyway, shifted a few weeds & nettles & met a couple more allotmenteers  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2011, 19:19 »
Nearly 3 whole hours on the plot today starting at 3pm  :happy: so it shows Spring is nearing as the days draw out. Not really dark until 6pm  :)

Battled with the buttercups (that wouldn't have been there if I'd had more time last year) and freed the raspberries so they are now sitting in a second new row.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ex-cavator

« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2011, 19:43 »
Just an hour this afternoon. myself & my lad knocked in the fence posts I bought yesterday, across the front of both plots (both sides are already done courtesy of neighbouring plot holders, and with a hedge at the back, we're now fully enclosed). Put mesh up on one half (from Freecycle), just need mesh for the other half - oh! and a gate - which my lad can knock up, being a carpenter  :)

SkipRat

« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2011, 20:12 »
Been on allotment to take delivery of 20 scaffold boards being delivered by my mate. These are going to make 6 raised beds next week, weather permitting...
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2011, 20:17 »
 Three gloriously sunny hours spent today preparing bed 1 which is 16x9'. Manured, tarped and ready to go for broad beans and later peas. Replanted a line of redcurrants, previously in a clump. Path nearly finished - 36' in total with 24' of paving slabs laid. Started to prepare bed 2 for onions and leeks. Moved carrot raised bed onto there too.

Weather report says rain tomorrow but I hope not!
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2011, 21:14 »
fixed trellis back to fence, hedge had grown massively from next door and had pushed the screws out!!  Moved new bird feeder to daughters wendy house so we can watch from the kitchen. Hoped to plant out strawberries runners but the heavens opened.  Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2011, 00:08 »
I wonder how many man person hours we managed to put in between us on Saturday?

Sounds as if it's been a success all-round. Should sleep well tonight all.  ;)

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10 »
Erected a second (replacement) greenhouse - hopefully this one will last a bit better :)

Noticed the first of the autumn sown broad beans poking their heads above ground :) :)

Saturday was a good day.

Kagganz

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47 »
Well today ...wait for it.....I planted some seeds  :)  

Some radish, parsnips and broccoli - Raab I think it's called, well the packets did say Feb and it's been mild here for a few days so hey ho I went for it, popped cloches on 'em and we'll see what happens.

A third of the plot was 8 inch deep in water !  Well Paul estimated 8 inches but we all know men and their estimations now don't we ?      I'd have said more like 6 !

Some of my strawberry plants leaves were floating in water too (while they were still attached to the plant I should add) bless 'em  :(

Q.  Should I move the strawberry plants today or are they hardy little blighters?

xxx

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:05 by Kagganz »

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2011, 09:05 »
Off today to finish greenhouse and dig over the riased beds, then off to get some manure from someone, they charge a £1 a bag but i am happy to donate that for the horses :D :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

ex-cavator

« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2011, 13:32 »
Wet & windy today but I bought 3kg of Rocket 1st early seed pots from Wilkinson & laid them out to chit  :)

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #328 on: February 13, 2011, 14:16 »
Went to allotment shop and got a bag of rocket and one of picasso.Both chitting away nicrly

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2011, 14:38 »
Bought some planters a hoe some red and white onion seeds £ 1.89 a bag and 3 bags of John Innes Multi purpose Compost 3 for £10.00 at B & M stores

Have dumped it all over the plot Got the Compost for nothing as it wasn't till I got home that I realised they had forgotten to charge me for it which I think is only right anyway as I was under the impression that J I is a good make but each bag had lots of plastic and thick twigs in it?

The Hoe only cost me £2.99 it is one of those Dutch hoe but I've been after a cheep draw hoe so when I got home I wedged it and managed to bend it into the shape I wanted. I can pick up a Dutch hoe another time.

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.607 seconds with 36 queries.