What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2490 on: October 30, 2011, 18:22 »
Fitted the second gutter to my shed - it only had a gutter on one side fitted by the previous owner.  Also put some end plates on my steps (made of pallets)  Re-positioned some Rasp plants..

Filled all the many holes with quick setting putty that were drilled in a water butt by a previous owner (don't people know water comes out of holes!!)  :(

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

brightgirls

« Reply #2491 on: October 30, 2011, 19:24 »
today we sowed garlic, onions and rye grass. 

Tried to make an old water tank water proof but it defeated me  >:( so i turned it into a deep raised bed to be used in the spring and ended up buying a water butt as our water on our allotment gets turned off tomorrow.  ::)

Sealed some gaps in the shed and left at lunchtime and went and had a drink at the local pub and felt satisfied about the weekend work.   :D

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2492 on: October 31, 2011, 04:48 »
Doing nothing - relaxing monday. Everythig wet after last night rain  :D

daybreak

« Reply #2493 on: October 31, 2011, 08:01 »
Full 8 hours of clearing (Again) yesterday, mine is one of the largest plots on site and it is entirely covered in carpet, under the carpet is lino? and on top of the carpet is a couple of inches of soil with sturdy weed growth. I never ever want to see a carpet again!!

Got a nice space now for shelter and tea breaks though and as I was say yesterday admiring all my hard work a pheasant wandered onto the plot, not noticing me she spent sometime a short distance from me just picking over the freshly dug areas.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2494 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52 »
Full 8 hours of clearing (Again) yesterday, mine is one of the largest plots on site and it is entirely covered in carpet, under the carpet is lino? and on top of the carpet is a couple of inches of soil with sturdy weed growth. I never ever want to see a carpet again!!

Got a nice space now for shelter and tea breaks though and as I was say yesterday admiring all my hard work a pheasant wandered onto the plot, not noticing me she spent sometime a short distance from me just picking over the freshly dug areas.
One question - how do you do rubbish removal?

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2495 on: October 31, 2011, 14:55 »
Concentrated on the bottom end of the garden and raised bed today, clearing weeds.
Also had to make an emergency repair on the shed, pinning down the roofing felt and whilst there, I took the opportunity to remove some of the ivy that has encroached around the shed.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

jmc1949

« Reply #2496 on: October 31, 2011, 15:15 »
Not alot!! Went to lottie with the intention of painting fencing with wood preserver. Just about to start and the rain came down. :(  Plot is very wet, all pathways are muddy - don't think I'll get much more done this year unless we have a very dry spell.

Jenny

gavinjconway

« Reply #2497 on: October 31, 2011, 16:54 »
Collected a few more pallets on my rounds today and dropped them off... I still need to make my composter with pallets and make a centre divide path way with strips of plank as edging.

grendel

« Reply #2498 on: October 31, 2011, 18:06 »
dark on the way to work, dark on the way home from work - not going to be able to work on the lortty apart from weekends for a bit, my seed garlic should arrive this week though.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

daybreak

« Reply #2499 on: October 31, 2011, 19:08 »

No idea to be honest! I have a huge pile now in one corner, it is the allotment society meet in a couple of weeks so I am going to ask if they get a skip on site for general use. If I have to pay for a skip I am going to really struggle (I am a carer for my disabled son). If all else fails I will have to take it bit by bit to the local dumpit site.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2500 on: November 01, 2011, 02:02 »

No idea to be honest! I have a huge pile now in one corner, it is the allotment society meet in a couple of weeks so I am going to ask if they get a skip on site for general use. If I have to pay for a skip I am going to really struggle (I am a carer for my disabled son). If all else fails I will have to take it bit by bit to the local dumpit site.

I wish you luck with the skip.

(£55 a week carer allowance doesn't go far does it!)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gavinjconway

« Reply #2501 on: November 01, 2011, 17:28 »
Today I built a compost heap, mainly for my horse manure to rot down. I get loads from my sons horse.. I will be growing a patch of comfrey as well to add to it along with other greens from home and byproducts of the plot.   Basically 2 pallets long and 1 pallet wide. I've got to start somewhere to let the HM start to rot down. Added 6 bags of manure and still have to empty my temp Dalek full of manure into the new structure..  :D  :D

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2502 on: November 01, 2011, 17:59 »
Well its been a gorgeous day in Cornwall, mild and sunny.  8)

So a further attack took place on the back garden, which is now looking like somebody actually owns it.   :)
Picked a few sloes off the bushes that form part of the cornish hedge at the bottom of the garden and cut back nettles, brambles et al.
Now got to work out what to do with the sloes. Sloe gin?

Then had a quick trip to the allotment and lifted the last of the spuds (these I think were 'Vanessa').
Also lifted a few leeks.

jmc1949

« Reply #2503 on: November 01, 2011, 18:13 »
Very wet on the plot after a night of continual rain, but I did manage to put a raised bed in place while OH built a composter. I had started digging a bed 20ft x 10ft and laying manure on top (about half of it is done).  Forked over the other half of the bed to try to aid drainage. Not sure I'll be able to dig thoroughly due to being wet. This half needs a thorough digging and removal of all the couch grass and other perenial weeds.  Also re-organised the storage area. Busy afternoon.

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
« Reply #2504 on: November 01, 2011, 18:26 »
Lovely day today sunny and calm. Did another bed on the plot and planted Japanese onions. Continued the war against the dreaded couch grass, and at last i think i'm winning, or perhaps it's just lulling me into a false sense of security :unsure:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.841 seconds with 36 queries.