spring feeders and hen not walking!

• 6 Replies

thebumbles

spring feeders and hen not walking!
« on: January 18, 2011, 22:03 »
Hi all,

Carrying on the debate of feeders and drinkers - has anyone had a go with the spring feeders which are used for game birds?  The birds peck at the spring and get rewarded with the pellets.  Also the hanging water bucket with the nipple feeders inserted through, ( there is a chap on e-bay selling the kit) I have a rat problem like lots of us - the poison is down(reluctantly, I hate killing them), but as yet they are too clever to take it. So  need to get the feeders off the ground.
Also, on a different matter, I have a invalid hen, she has been off her legs for a week, have taken her to vets and she has had medication, but still not standing.They think she has bumble feet, but I'm not convinced, I think she fell of her perch overnight ( she is a bit skitty and has a permanent weak leg).Was wondering if she needs to be helped and reminded how to walk like massage or something. Do the muscles waste. She is perky and eating etc but not right for her not to be able scratch about with her friends - a dilema!  Sorry its a long question. :mellow:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: spring feeders and hen not walking!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:06 »
Well I have no idea about the hen not walking, but I can tell you that the 'spring' feeders are popular in New Zealand.

Take a look at the video on the Nosloc website to see hens eating from one:
 http://www.nosloc.com/index.html

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13 »
no idea about the feeders having never used them, however how long has you chicken been on the antibiotics? is there any scabs underneath her foot? Does her leg feel any warmer than the other one? Get her back to the vets for another check over if she has been on the A/B's for more than 7 days - it could be just a case that she needs a different type.
Staffies are softer than you think.

thebumbles

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 17:59 »
 She went to Vet on Tues and had a antiobiotic jab, she goes back tomorrow (Thurs) for another one.  Her legs were very warm and was unable to take her weight at all, but bright and eating. This afternoon was pleased to see she was marginally better ,took the weight on her 'elbows' for a few seconds but slumped back down again, and the heat in her legs better.  I have had to wash her back end, cos slightly mucky with sitting in one position, and noticed the skin very pink.  Has been laying OK.  I am hoping for an improvement again tomorrow but I know birds get stressed easily. Funny her friends seem to know she is  not well, 2 especially, the two pekins are looking out for her and keeping the new girl away, who has pecked at her. By the way, she is a Lavender Araucana and her name is - Lady Gaga which suits her very well! :unsure:

peter rooster

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 18:51 »
Hi

I am involved with a small pheasant shoot and we use springs on all our feeders. I see no reason why thay can not be usedfor chickens :) with wheat or barley. I have a spare spring  and was going to try it out. The corn will need to be clean or the coils will get blocked >:(. They can be used on any suitable container just cut a hole a little bigger than the coil and drop it in from the inside  :mellow:they have a couple of bolt holes you can use as well. Mount 12 to 14 inch off the ground Last time I bought some they were around £2 each.
I did think of trying one of our auto feeders they could be set to thow corn out up to twice a day. We use them on a duck pond and they gather round waiting for it to spray corn. 
peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

thebumbles

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 19:23 »
Hi
Thanks for the info on the spring feeders, looks as if it may be worth giving it try, I  have 10 hens so they do waste alot and encourages the vermin. Will update on the progress.:)

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 19:27 »
I was looking at those feeders yesterday and wondering how my girls would cope. Please keep me informed if you get one

many thanks

xx
Hen walking on her big toe?

Started by Liv on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:16
by bantam novice
xx
Hen walking sideways

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 26, 2008, 22:18
by poultrygeist
xx
Hen walking backwards

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 17:18
by 8doubles
xx
Hen walking backwards

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 11:16
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 30 queries.