Pheasant Attack ?

• 21 Replies

Sassy

Re: Pheasant Attack ?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 08:20 »
Could it have been someone poaching?

Hope Costly is fine and does not live up to her name. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SamnElla

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31 »
The name Costly came about because when we first got our hens we had 2 silkie crosses (Sam and Ella) that came with the (expensive) coop, who kept going broody, so it cost us about £8 per egg
We got some eggs from a local chicken keeper for the girls to sit on and the resulting chicks were Costly (or Wee One), Cheeply (Big Dopey), and because s/he was black, Vincent Pricey (Sweet Gene)
I've just been to let them out into the run and she seems fine -first one out, straight at the food, so I think all will be O.K
The only problem is now getting the antibiotics into her without the others "sharing" it !
It's all good in da wood

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:00 »
Glad to hear she's on the mend

Junie

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 11:54 »
you said a puncture wound on her chest, Is it perhaps from a log, stick or piece of barbed wire that she may have run into.
We have a JRT who after watching my boys chase the chickens around trying to catch them ( they were told that this was not the way!) he thought this was a great game and tried to catch one, he pinned her down from the back with a paw on each feather, at no time in the chase did he go anywhere near the sharp pointy bit!! ( She was fine, but the JRT has a fear of brooms now - and was sent to the outdoor kennel for a couple of hours - which he hates and we have had no more troubles)
Smokey's injuries ( the one probably attacked by a fox) had rips up the side which had probably been inflicted from behind) rather than a puncture wound.

Just a completely different thought!

stompy

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01 »
What about a bird of prey?
Could have attacked her and not been able to carry her off?
Just a thought.

Andy

pekinpete

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:21 »
just a thought could it be a badger as they will kill and eat poultry,i know of cases of people losing birds thinking it was foxes only to find out later it was badgers,foxes and dogs seem to have a blood lust and when they start killing they carry on,i don't think it was a pheasant attack ,when they start shooting round our way the pheasants land in my pens they know when their safe never had trouble with pheasants attacking stock.(message to hillfooter sorry about mix up with reply i posted to question asked)

SamnElla

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 09:19 »
Junie, there was more than one wound, and pekinpete there's no evidence of badgers around here (I'm not saying they don't exist but..),stumpy-who knows,there's plenty of raptors here but the vet thought not
 In all honesty, I'm now more inclined towards it being a gun dog getting hold of her.There was someone shooting in the woods sometime before it happened.
 We had a phone call on Wednesday from the estate office "advising" us that there was to be lots of dogs and shooting around about us on Thurs/Friday, which is something they've not done before (there's always guns around us).
She's fine, but being bullied by one of her peers more than she used to be (Dopey had her by the wing this morning dragging her across the garden) so I'm going to have to keep an eye on that
This is turning into Chicken CSI !

xx
Pheasant pluckers?

Started by Fenland Girl on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 21:20
by Fenland Girl
xx
Unusual pheasant

Started by EzLou on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 18:49
by EzLou
xx
Wierd looking pheasant

Started by becky on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 13:30
by shaun
xx
Pheasant escaped

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 16:01
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 29 queries.