Out of date Asparagus?

• 5 Replies

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
Out of date Asparagus?
« on: January 16, 2011, 20:16 »
Hi, just been tidying up my greenhouse and found a bag full of theilim asparagus, still new in their packets of sawdust,  given to me out of date last year and i prompty forgot all about them, would i be able to still use them? are they likely to be alive, it looks like just roots in the bags..
i've no idea about asparagus, never even eaten it let alone grow it so though i'd try asking.....

Nikkithefoot

Re: Out of date Asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 20:42 »
dunno is the easy answer, however they stand more of a chance in the ground than not. Its still a bit early though, probably shouldn't go in until the ground has warmed up, say April?

If you dig in plenty of well rotted manure, make a shallow trench with a ridge down the middle and sit the roots on top, with them 'dangling' down either side of the ridge. Cover and wait
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 21:06 »
That's a hard call after all this time. I think I'd put one root per pot of decent potting mix, water, place in a cool area and see if any sprout. The roots will need to rehydrate first so water lightly from time to time, and wait.

As for flavour, try ordering some in a restaurant to see if you like them, and if not and the roots grow, offer an exchange with a friend.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01 »
Probably dead. As Trill mentions, they dry out simply.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 19:23 »
A couple of years back I ought some being sold off at the local GC. Two from about fifteen survived the rest just took up bed space.

I'd do as Trillium says and put them in pots, I wouldn't spend much on compost, use some old stuff then pot them up in better if you get any to show.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 11:28 »
I'll try it and see what happens, luckly they were free so its not going to cost anything...

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Sow by date

Started by plot 45 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:58
by Eatyourgreens
xx
uses for out of date herbs?

Started by slurp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 23:19
by Stripey_cat
xx
just a few up to date pics

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 17:53
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 30 queries.