well excited 2011

• 26 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: well excited 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 20:53 »
There is of course the danger that people come to rely on computers to tell them what to do and when and therefore not pick up "the knowledge".

I suppose therefore it's inevitable that gardening will go the same way as mental arithmetic & spelling. Hit the calculator keys, click the spell checker. Learn nothing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 20:54 »
i dont bother with some one elses plan i do my research over god knows how many days weeks months sit down for a good few hours with all research in hand and take it from there it gives you a sense of well doing when doing it this way

And you learn, don't you?

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 20:59 »
Yes, I learn that I always seem to lose those lists  :( I suppose that's why shirt cuffs were invented.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 20:59 »
There is of course the danger that people come to rely on computers to tell them what to do and when and therefore not pick up "the knowledge".

I suppose therefore it's inevitable that gardening will go the same way as mental arithmetic & spelling. Hit the calculator keys, click the spell checker. Learn nothing.

Ah ... well on that point I think current Vegetable Planning Software falls well short of what it could achieve. It could educate as well as assist. But there isn't any that I have seen that does.  

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 21:26 »
i dont bother with some one elses plan i do my research over god knows how many days weeks months sit down for a good few hours with all research in hand and take it from there it gives you a sense of well doing when doing it this way

And you learn, don't you?

yes i like to think i learn as i go on. i must learn as i remember things that i have read watched ect. there is nothing more i like to do then read up about my hobby or watch videos of people doing the same thing i so love.

as i said i dont like to rely on someone elses complete list and work from that.... i read books but most of all pull my info from the internet be it text or videos from people who already have the knowledge. so i guess my learning comes from 21st centry tech. if i had no internet it would be alot harder for me to gain the knowledge i have as my allotment is actully a big garden split in 2 with the allotment side being mine and the garden side being my fatherinlaws who no longer cares for it...

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 22:04 »
I dont write anything down tbh, maybe as im younger 27.
I just plant where space is available and go with the flow !! :tongue2: :tongue2:
Woooooooooooooo

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 13:40 »
well today i went round to my plot and checked the status of things.... ive not been around in a few months the people that where there before have left it a right mess its my wifes aunt and uncle there really nice people just i think lazy when it comes to gardening.. this year there doing it in there own garden witch leaves me with this one....

end of last year i started digging it up.... view my last posts if interested.... i got 30% done but was then stuck as they refused to pull things up saying there not ready  :mad: :mad:  yeah ok you leave your beans,potatos, and everything else in for the frost to get to it and ill sit here and watch...... the crops are STILL there  :mad: :mad: i mean come on are you trying to make my life hard god knows what the potatos are going to look like now........... :tongue2:

canes are still up where the beans where bottoms of them are going rotten wood dont last to long when stuck in the winter ground......

the 30% i did dig up has done well only very limited weeds there so i must have done a good job on that. the ground in question i started on had not been worked for years and years so as you can imagin in was very weedy. only bit of ground i had chance to dig really as all the other ground had there crops in  ::)

well anyway new year time to get round there and get stuck in while the ground is still damp and easy to work.

sorry for the rant lol just really really annoyes me when people dont give 2 hoots about what there doing and dont think about anyone else

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 15:44 »

Well, it's all downhill from here !   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 17:16 »
It looks as if you are very well organised, Tony!  ;)

Where are you going to keep them all until planting time?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 17:20 »

I've learnt (for the 2nd time!) to make a back-up of computer files so I don't end up saving over last year's allotment diary... Oh so very clever  :mad:

But... there we go... things could be worse at least I can still find the allotment  ;)

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 19:19 »
I just plant where space is available and go with the flow !! :tongue2: :tongue2:
Not sure about that theory - i got my allotment when i was 27 (only three yrs ago!) and have written everything down. I think it is important to record sucesses/failures pests and weeds. Saves you making the same mistakes twice - there is always so much to remember!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 00:12 »
Not sure about that theory - i got my allotment when i was 27 (only three yrs ago!) and have written everything down. I think it is important to record sucesses/failures pests and weeds. Saves you making the same mistakes twice - there is always so much to remember!

Couldn't agree more and my memory's perfect. I'm only 56 75...no...what was it? 57 that's it!!  :lol:

xx
OMG I'm so excited

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 17:03
by mashauk
xx
Excited............

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 08:41
by sunshineband
xx
Excited

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 06:56
by Madame Cholet
xx
So excited!

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 23:16
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.674 seconds with 36 queries.