Eglu cube owners - please help!

• 7 Replies

eveshamchelle

Eglu cube owners - please help!
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:37 »
Hi all, am just getting used to my eglu cube which I've had for about four months now.  These past few weeks what with all the damp weather, I've noticed that in the egg box, the bedding is getting quite damp and soggy but almost from below.  The walls and inside of the door are perfectly dry with no evidence of water ingress.  The large drainage/ventilation hole in the bottom just seems to make everything on top of it horrid to the point where I'm having to replace the newspaper and bedding three times a week, whereas before all the damp miserable weather, I could just pooh pick when required and then change everything once a week or even once a fortnight.

I got home last night to find the contents of the egg box on the ground underneath, almost as if all my girls had gotten in the egg box and trampled it through the hole!

When making it up in terms of bedding, I'd always put a few layers(4 or 5 pages) of newspaper at the bottom, then cover with shavings, shreddings and a handful of straw.

Does anyone else have this problem?  I didn't want to tape over it with masking tape because of the ventilation requirements - although there is that big slot in the door which vents fine!  Any ideas or advice please?  Thanks!

compostqueen

Re: Eglu cube owners - please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 15:53 »
I would get onto Barbara at Omlet and ask her about it as she should know instantly what's happening. They welcome questions so don't hesitate

It could be that you don't need the layers of newspaper under the other bedding

Totty

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 17:18 »
We have acube and have never had this problem. Not too sure the egg box is meant to be lined with newspaper, as you said, the egg box has a long vent in the bottom, which will help with ventilation and stop the atmosphere getting too damp. with the weather being so poor, the chickens will be wet when they are in there so the water will have to go somewhere and if its blocked by paper, as soon as that is saturated it will soak into the bedding. I use hay in barley straw in the nest box which is changed once a week and never seems damp.

Hope you can sort it.

Totty

eveshamchelle

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 19:24 »
Thanks for the replies.  The slot in the bottom of the egg box is about a centimetre wide and thirty centimetres long, if I don't put newspaper in the bottom, everything falls out onto the ground below!  I'll give Omlet a ring on Monday and I'll peruse the Omlet forum too. 

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 21:10 »
I hope they can help as it sounds as if something is amiss if all the bedding can fall out through a gap. I'm sure they'll be able to sort it

Let us know how you get on.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 21:44 »
Sounds like you need some egg glue :D

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 21:46 »
 :nowink:   :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 21:46 »
 :D

xx
Eglu cube

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 09:52
by Aunt Sally
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 22:53
by jo40
xx
eglu cube

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by symonep
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by andyhenderson10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 17:34
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 28 queries.