Missing chicken

• 37 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Re: Missing chicken
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 15:35 »
So sorry!

it's heartbreaking when that happens.

The only comfort I can offer is that foxes are killing machines and it would have been quick.  I know that doesn't help.

Pertelotte x

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 15:42 »
It does help, thanks.  I'm sure I'll feel better in a few days.  I love keeping chickens, but I sometimes wonder if it's worth the sadness. 

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 15:48 »
I think it is worth it, yes.  You know that they have had a brilliant life, loved being with you and could have ended up withsomeone else who didn't show them as much love and affection as you did.  I bet she lived wonderfully, and would thank you for all the kindness you have shown her since you got her xxx
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 17:20 »
Sorry you lost her  :( Give yourself a few days, give the coop a thorough clean out and disinfect and start thinking about some new girls.  Chickens are so rewarding to keep you can't give up now  :)

Diggit

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 17:24 »
Sorry to hear that SusieB. As others have said, you gave her a good life. Nature is a cruel thing at times but its all part of the big cycle.

I hope this doesn't put you off getting some more. Keep you chin up.
Paul

jinty1911

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 18:26 »
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  :(  :(  :(
Jinty

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 18:31 »
Sorry to hear your bad news SusieB, but as other have said, don't give up on keeping hens as the rewards compensate for the pain we all feel when we lose one.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 19:41 »
Susie, I'm so sorry too.

Please don't give up keeping chickens, they are so good for US! Whenever I'm worrying about things, I go and watch my girls doing silly, lovely chickeny things and I always feel much better!  You go and get some more as soon as you can.

Sending hugs.

xx

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 21:45 »
So sorry Susie
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 23:50 »
Sorry to hear about your loss - we have a fox prowl about at night though not had a day strike for 18 months (touch wood, fingers crossed etc) Your hen could have hid in the bush overnight and been caught which is why you may not have seen the feathers. We have a automatic pophole and every so often a chicken or 2 misses curfew and goes and hides in a bush or tree.

Buzzards hardly ever take chickens - they prefer carrion - or the odd myxie rabbit, we have a couple of pairs that circle our field and the chickens are not bothered.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 10:23 »
Thanks again to everybody.  Without the advice, support and encouragement of this site, I would have given up ages ago.  Everybody is right, the plus points do out way the drawbacks.  Besides the coop looks so empty and sad without the chickens fighting their way out for a day's hard graft in the garden.

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 11:21 »
Sorry it didn't work out for you Susie but the rewards of keeping chx far outweigh the heartache.

When my birds very ocassionally miss the automatic door closing they usually roost on the roof of their house which is useful.  Having a double pitched roof is an advantage and if you have it's a good idea to make the point a 5cm or so square roosting bar so they can use this and they are easy to find.

I agree with Squibbs we also have buzzards and sparrowhawks that I've never known a buzzard take a full grown chicken (or any chicken for that matter) and you can discourage other birds of prey by having some screens of trees, fences or other high posts to discourage hawks from swooping on young birds.  It doesn't prevent the chx from sounding the alarm whenever there's a buzzard overhead but they usually don't get too frightened.
HF
Truth through science.

grumpydad

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 12:15 »
just try to keep going, we lost 8 out of 9 in our first year to a disease that they came with, it was heartbreaking, wondering if it was something we were doing. we were left with 1 for a short while till we decided to keep going, we now have 5 hybrids, and our initial wyandotte, we would not be without them. it is heartbreaking, but worth the effort in the long run, or it will be when they get back to laying, lazy chickens, lol

Jeanette

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 20:46 »
I am so sorry.

ferretkeeper

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 21:58 »
So sorry to hear you're girl didn't make it back  :(

We had something similar a few weeks ago, one of our ex bat girls disappeared but we never found the feathers or any evidence to explain what happened, which meant I was looking everywhere for days just in case.

Another strange incident happened when I found our young cockerel dead on night when I came home from work, he was right by my house with no sign of feathers out of place or a struggle. Again I spent the next week watching the rest like a hawk in case of disease but nothing happened luckily, his death remains a mystery, I wish I knew what it was. 

Our chooks have the run of our place, whether we like it or not! my hubby found them at the far end of our 2 acre field a few nights ago so it's not surprising we lost one after all this time but I won't keep them confined, the whole point is that they have freedom to roam, that's why we rescued them. I still say her short life with us was happier that the previous caged existence and I'm glad to have given her that.

The girls are usually really good at getting home by dusk but maybe the early nights confused them, I just have to be on watch nearer dusk to count them in. An afternoon feed of corn usually brings them home. Just got to be mega careful, this cold weather is making foxy hungrier than ever and their babies will be about soon.

Chin up hun, you'll feel better soon, do a good thing and rescue a few girls!

xx
Chicken missing......

Started by chloe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 12:02
by kegs
xx
Missing chicken

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 19:08
by ANHBUC
xx
Free Range Chicken Missing 8 days just found her broody

Started by pookey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 19:09
by pookey
xx
2 of my egs are missing !

Started by eggs on legs on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 12:43
by John

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 38 queries.