Missing chicken

• 37 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Missing chicken
« on: January 01, 2011, 16:34 »
I have been out to put my chicken to bed (down to one chuck as the others have died) and she's disappeared.  She doesn't wander and comes when called (in the hope of treats).  What might have happened?  Could it be the buzzard?  Would there be feathers left if it was?  It's dark now and I don't know what to do.  Should I leave the coop door open, or will the fox know exactly where she is if she comes home?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Missing chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 16:48 »
if it was me I would leave the coop open just in case - she may be hiding if there has been a preditor around or she may injured and waiting for the coast to be clear. Go out and check again (with a torch) before you go to bed just in case she is back and then you can shut her up. I have had some of mine go missing for a couple of days at a time and they still returned ok, fingers crossed for you xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 16:53 »
Hope you find her or she does show up.  Have you tried shining a torch into any bushes or trees you have in your garden.  They do sometimes take it into their heads to roost outside.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 17:08 »
I've spent the last 2 hours looking, not a sign.  Will keep going out every so often till I go to bed.   Fingers crossed that she's sat on the back doorstep in the morning.

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 18:13 »
Oh Susie,  I'm so sorry, maybe she'll come back in, I'd leave the coop door open for her. Do let us know if she's home in the morning.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 18:15 »
If she decided that it was too dark to get from where she was to the coop, then she will have found the safest close place and she won't leave it until daylight. Best thing is just to leave it until morning and then she'll probably meet you when you go out. It's happened a few times to us. We used to worry, but now know that they will be sensible and safe.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 18:23 »
Thanks to everybody - fingers crossed till morning.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 18:28 »
Keep fingers crossed she turn up in the morning
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 19:00 »
So sorry to hear about your hen, SusieB.  Fingers, toes and everything crossed she returns in one piece.  keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 20:49 »
Susie B, just wanted to say I am keeping everything crossed that maybe she is roosting somewhere to keep safe and she will return in the morning.  I know exactly how you feel as I lost my first hen this week (I think a neighbour's dog had her) and I could find no sign other than a few feathers.  Hopefully yours will be a happy story that turns out well in the end.  Hang in there!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 22:16 »
I hope she turns up safe and well for you. She must be very lonely on her, own and probably more scared than she would be with a couple of friends to keep her company, are you planning on getting anymore for her to be with?

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:09 »
I had one of my bantam hens fail to return one night a couple of weeks ago when the temp was 6 below.  I looked everywhere for her with a torch to no avail and I was convinced she'd been taken by a fox.  However in the morning there she was waiting by the back door for her morning treat none the worse for being out all night.
Hope you have similar luck.
HF
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:40 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29 »
I hope it's not a fox!! good luck this morning and keep us posted
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

zoggett

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 12:07 »
Hi any news this morning?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51 »
Sadly it seems a fox got her.  There are some feathers in the undergrowth at the bottom of the garden.  He must have taken her between 2-3pm, I wish I had checked on her more frequently.  Not sure why I didn't see the feathers when I was looking for her yesterday, would he have taken her and eaten her later?  I'm just hoping she didn't suffer for too long.

xx
Missing chicken

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 19:08
by ANHBUC
xx
Chicken missing......

Started by chloe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 12:02
by kegs
xx
Free Range Chicken Missing 8 days just found her broody

Started by pookey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 19:09
by pookey
xx
2 of my egs are missing !

Started by eggs on legs on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 12:43
by John

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 38 queries.