If they were boys, they're have crowed by now, wouldn't they?

• 4 Replies

pandora

I hatched out various chicks in April and May this year. Most of them have been easy to identify as girl or boy, and the surplus boy definites have been sold, eaten or given away. The definite girls are obviously keepers. But I have a Pekin and Leghorn who are very ambiguous. They have neither laid an egg or crowed, and they do not look like either their brothers or their sisters. Surely by now they would be crowing if they were boys? 

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: If they were boys, they're have crowed by now, wouldn't they?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 22:54 »
I would of thought so.  I have a couple like that as well!  Look a bit butch but no crowing???  Im just going to keep an eye on them see who lays and if they start to crow I will deal with them then.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:38 »
Oh the joys of chicken keeping!  I had 2 chicks 2 years ago...one grew into a fine cockerel who was eventually rehomed but the other then spent a few weeks in limbo..was it or wasn't it a male.  However on Christmas Day he threw his head back and crowed for England!!  He was rehomed shortly after.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:09 »
In July/September time I got a Maran cockerel and an Aracauna hen at 15 weeks and a Silky-Sussex cross hen at 18 weeks. The other month the Maran started to crow, yet the other two still hadn't laid an egg. A lot of people have said that the younger birds won't lay until the spring after the cold snap, so I'm just holding on until then - they've not crowed yet so I'm taking it as a good sign.  ;)

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 21:03 »
I have 3 Silky x Sussex chicks.  They were hatched at the end of April and the 1st laid at 24.5 weeks with the others following in the next week.  After the 1st few weeks of laying every day they went broody and we are currently getting 1 egg a day.  Very broody girls but we love them  ;)
Jinty

xx
I said I wouldn't do it.... But....

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 14:11
by cathangirl
xx
Bad boys

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 17:11
by Selkie
xx
How can I help the boys get along together?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 16:41
by Lost in France
xx
Boys or Girls

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 03:10
by chicksforkicks

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 36 queries.