Anything changed your mind this year?

• 18 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Anything changed your mind this year?
« on: December 20, 2010, 19:07 »
I had a terrible year for brassicas the first year, and what with all the netting I vowed I wouldn't try to grow them again this year.

Well (as we all do!) stuck for something to do I plonked a couple of sprouts in, not expecting them to do anything - I didn't even net them.

But, they've been amazing this year, and now I will always grow them.

What about you? I'd love some new ideas (haven't tried the kale as yet), or what about failures that you have finally given up on?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: Anything changed your mind this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 19:13 »
Quite the opposite for me ::) Last year i chucked in some sprouts, they grew fantastically so decided to give them a go again this year, however, i netted them properly and they havent impressed at all, sprouts are no bigger than peas :(

If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 19:23 »
I've given up on celeriac - don't think I water enough but second year of ping pong ball sized veg is enough for me.

My newest best friends are Khol Rabi which was dead easy and super productive and after saying it wasn't worthwhile growing courgettes on my plot as I did not visit every day I've changed my mind on them.  OK I have composted a couple of monsters but also had loads of really good fruits  :D

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 19:47 »
Each year my Brassicas have bee paltry, but I will try again next year.

Peas Grrr, I can't get the ruddy things to germinate year after year I try but they don't pop their head above the soil. yet the man on the next plot to me gets a bumper crop year after year.

Carrots have always been got at by the fly, but this year on DD's recommendation I bought some enviromesh and sowed Autumn King on the 1st June and they have been great. But they are now all frozen in the soil meaning I will have to buy some for Christmas dinner, and I have been promising Mrs FB home grown Carrots for Christmas since September.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 19:54 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 19:53 »
I didn't grow onions this year as I damage so many with the hoe and I cant hand weed.  But its the pits not having home grown onions so i've thought of a way to grow them which means i'll be able to use a hoe and not damage the bulb so i'll try them again next year. :)

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 21:21 »
I didn't grow onions this year as I damage so many with the hoe and I cant hand weed

Block planting or square foot gardening is perfect for onions as they grow very close together and don't allow weeds to take hold. I also grow them closely-spaced in containers with the same result.

Back on topic, I'll grow the same stuff next year as I normally do. Tried celeriac this year but was disappointed, especially as it's in the ground such a long time and I could have used the space for something useful.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16 »
Fatbelly, ask your neighbour nicely how he manages to get such great peas. I'm sure he'd gladly share the secret. Nothing like compliments to warm people for answers.

Solway cropper, I use lots of straw mulch around my onions as I hate weeding them. I don't think you'd get much slug damage. I also plant my onions on top of small ridges so they don't drown in heavy rainfall and eventually develop rot.

lacewing

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:30 »
My sprouts are very good this year, sweet tasting and not too strong. They say that sprouts like a bit of  frost on them and they have had plenty this year. The only problem is finding them under all the snow. I also grew a very good pea called 'Champion of England'  which produced a bumper crop, I will definiately grow some again this year. 
I will cut down on the number of tomato plants, watering was a full time job and most of the outside plants caught blight. I will try and controle myself and stick to just the greenhouse toms this year. :)
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Thrift

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:48 »
I'll definitely grow more carrots next year. There is no comparison between the delicious flavoursome homegrown and the sweet, bland apologies I am buying at the moment.

stompy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:06 »
fatbelly, have you tried chitting your peas before you plant them.
Thats how i do mine pop them in a bowl of water over night drain them the next day then put them in a plastic sealable bag.
2/3 days later they will begin to shoot, then either pot them or sow out on the plot as normal water well and within another 2/3 days they will begin to show.
Works every time for me, and i mean every time  ;)

Back on topic, i will not be trying carrots again after failing every year and like last year vowing never to try again, well this time im not growing them  :unsure:
I have always done well with melons though so they will be going in again (if i get my new plot in time)  :nowink:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:14 by stompy »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:33 »
In the past my attempts at growing Florence (bulb) Fennel have always resulted in chewy, aniseed-flavoured, celery-like sticks as they have always quickly run to seed.   :(

This year I tried one suggestion which was to not sow them until much later. I think I over-compensated by sowing at the end of August but still got some small but useable "bulbs" (pity I left most of them in the ground when the freeze and snow came!)

Next year I will of course get it absolutely right!  :unsure:  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48 »
I grew fenel bulbs my first year, they grew and bulbed up brilliantly.
Took one home to try and i can't stand them. Yuuuuuk.  :(

I gave them all away and nener grew them again.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32 »
Had a rubbish year with brassicas I think I might not bother with them in future. Carrots had the usual fly issues - but good to see others have been successful - maybe I'll go the DD route with enviromesh as well - can't beat fresh carrots just out of the garden.

RichardA

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51 »
Yes -- always going for F1 when available. Came a bit of a cropper this year as my sweet corn did very well on all three varieties sown but all came together even though I tried to chose varieties with a spread of ready dates. We were away some of the time and even though we gave a lot away and froze some, most of the second cobs off the plants were beyond their best when taken. Ducks had some but even they did not eat up all we had. So I really need to get some off earlier and risk some far later than I did.
Oh and if we take the question literally and get away from a Veg context then I would add "China". But that is another story.
R

Christine

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 10:10 »
I think that there was a break in the watering cycle if brassicas did badly this year.  They do like to be watered in dry weather.

I've grown caulis for the first time this year. Asked the allotment secretary who is an ace with brassicas for tips - did as told and had a good crop. So will repeat next year.

Grew far too much kale but now know that I can do it! May or may not repeat - depends on space.

xx
changed my mind

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
xx
Grass it's all in the mind

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 13:37
by Goosegirl
xx
Time out of mind.

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 08:59
by sophiejo
xx
It's changed my life...

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 06:33
by Growster...

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 38 queries.