is this a solution to blight???

• 9 Replies

purplebat

« on: July 29, 2007, 16:29 »
well, I don't have all the info, but I just wanted to run this by you all to see if anyone else has got any idea of what I'm on about; an old boy was telling my hubby the other day that rhubarb leaves can be used either as a cure or prevention for blight (I'm not sure which) he said to soak the leaves in water and then dilute 20:1, but he didn't say whether to spray before the blight strikes or when it is present, is this an old wives tale, or has anyone else tried it or even heard of it?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: is this a solution to blight???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 21:06 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
well, I don't have all the info, but I just wanted to run this by you all to see if anyone else has got any idea of what I'm on about; an old boy was telling my hubby the other day that rhubarb leaves can be used either as a cure or prevention for blight (I'm not sure which) he said to soak the leaves in water and then dilute 20:1, but he didn't say whether to spray before the blight strikes or when it is present, is this an old wives tale, or has anyone else tried it or even heard of it?

Well Purplebat, I believe Rhubarb leaf tea gives you oxalic acid which is a poison and I guess could be a treatment for blight - which I guess is a fungus disease affecting spuds and tomatoes. Think you would just sprinkle with a watering can.
I saw some on my tomatoes and got it just in time with Bordeaux mixture puff powder.
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 21:32 »
Blight is a water mould and not a fungus.  

I'd be very skeptical of the rhubarb tea.  Why would such a simple solution to such a serious disease remained such a well-kept secret?

This link suggests foliar feeding to combat blight organically. http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/lateblight.html   The theory is that a build-up of friendly organisms on the leaves means that the blight has nowhere to attack.  I was planning to try it this year but blight hit a full month earlier than usual.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 22:10 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

:D In the taxonomical classification of living things, molds are placed in the Kingdom of Fungi ........... Hence the term fungicide for chemicals to combat the blight. :wink:

WG.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 22:30 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
molds are placed in the Kingdom of Fungi
I stand corrected.  I stand by the remainder of my post.  :wink:  :wink:

purplebat

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 00:09 »
thanks for the replies, and I found that link really interesting WG thanks, I guess the answer is that anything is worth a try (next year of course, no point this year)  :lol:

Plot No 2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:45 »

I'd be very skeptical of the rhubarb tea.  Why would such a simple solution to such a serious disease remained such a well-kept secret?

This link suggests foliar feeding to combat blight organically. http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/lateblight.html   The theory is that a build-up of friendly organisms on the leaves means that the blight has nowhere to attack.  I was planning to try it this year but blight hit a full month earlier than usual.

I watered only my pink fir aplles with a comfrey stew to improve the yield. Now that blight had struck the potatoes, the pink fir apples were still strong. Some leaves were black, but the plant as such survived. The rest of potatoes were reduced to the normal blight nothing. Feeding the leaves could be a solution to blight or keeping it at bay a little longer.

As for rhubard being kept a secret, possible, because no huge amount of  money can be made selling chemicals.

purplebat

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:21 »
Quote from: "Plot No 2"
As for rhubard being kept a secret, possible, because no huge amount of  money can be made selling chemicals.[/quote
good point Plot No 2 :wink:  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:37 »
Feeding the leaves could be a solution to blight or keeping it at bay a little longer.
Interested to hear about the comfrey liquid - was it watered on over the Pink Fir foliage?  That would have a similar effect to manure tea but I'm still not keen on the rhubarb idea.  I reckon the oxalic acid would actually decrease the fauna on the leaves rather than increasing it.

Plot No 2

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 12:44 »
Feeding the leaves could be a solution to blight or keeping it at bay a little longer.
Interested to hear about the comfrey liquid - was it watered on over the Pink Fir foliage?  That would have a similar effect to manure tea but I'm still not keen on the rhubarb idea.  I reckon the oxalic acid would actually decrease the fauna on the leaves rather than increasing it.

WG. The leaves were watered to give the potatoes a boost.
I've dugged up two plants and were amazed at the harvest.

xx
Anyone tried a poly tunnel as a solution to blight?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2022, 12:46
by JayG
xx
Will my solution work I wonder ?

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 17:01
by Beetroot queen
xx
small sprouts solution

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 20:00
by Benandbill
xx
Tomatilla pollination: A solution. Hem hem

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:14
by japagow

Page created in 0.693 seconds with 29 queries.