Too cold to plant a tree?

• 6 Replies

Zippy

Too cold to plant a tree?
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:28 »
My apple and my damson trees have arrived and we have this second cold snap. The apple is quite small - are they usually only about four feet high when they arrive? Compared to the damson which is about six feet tall and has branches about 3/4" thick in most part.

The Apple is so slender overall it looks more like a shrub. It is a four variety family tree.

My main concern is if I plant them in their permanent positions on the allotment I can't keep them monitored in this weather all the time, whereas if I pot them into large pots I can keep an eye on them in the home yard and even bring them into the garage to thaw if I feel they need more water to the roots.

I know they are dormant at the moment, but if the ground freezes up, does this mean there will be no water to the roots and a risk they will die through lack of water?

I am surprised the damson looks so much more stocky than the apple. I had imagined they would be similar or the apple would be bigger.

Nikkithefoot

Re: Too cold to plant a tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25 »
The roots must be kept moist. If your ground is frozen then large pots will have to do, but keep them insulated. If you can heel them in then that's ok too. The trees can be planted anytime up to end Feb / Mar as soon as the weather gets a little better. You can delay planting as long as you need to given the weather, its keeping the roots moist (but not waterlogged)until then that's the key
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:32 »
Thank you. This is what I thought.

Any comment on the huge size difference between the Apple and the Damson? The Damson is huge compared to the Apple, which looks like a shrub in comparison.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:40 »
There isn't really a truly dwarfing rootstock for damsons, unlike apples............so the difference in size is probably down to rootstocks, which did you choose for your apple?

The apples I have planted as maidens before have all been about the same size as yours ;)

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:06 »
Thanks Mum. The rootstock is M26 first year (dwarfing), whereas I remember now ordering a 2nd year tree for the Damson - makes sense it should be bigger  :unsure:  :lol:

savbo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04 »
it's not so much that the roots need water at this time of year - it's that if the soil isn't wet the cold air might get to the roots and kill them - cold air can get much colder than ice...

I've heeled trees into compost or even woodchip in frozen weather with success...

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 15:06 »
Yes that was my concern is the frozen soil may leave air pockets around the roots and kill them off. I have potted them into large tubs ready to plant them out with the compost they are in if the weather improves or very early spring now the roots are in moist compost.

They are in the unheated garage off the floor on pallets so they will be too cold to germinate but warm enough not to freeze.

xx
Is it too cold to plant raspberries/blackberries?

Started by wendyg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 10:12
by mumofstig
question
When did you plant early Potatoes in containers (e.g. in Cold Greenhouse)?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:02
by mumofstig
xx
how to plant a fruit tree

Started by garden-lover on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 10:00
by missmoneypenny
xx
Plant a tree for a new baby

Started by stu_iow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 23:54
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 30 queries.