From little biros..........................

• 12 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
From little biros..........................
« on: November 01, 2010, 19:58 »
We had a bit of fun here back in May competing for the title of the most pathetic leek seedlings!

The idea apparently is to plant them outside when they achieve "pencil thickness", so I'm still going to claim the credit for describing mine as "biro-refill thickness!"  :wacko:

Can't claim any great skill at all for how they've eventually turned out; as a first-time leek grower I'd just like to say you're never too old or "experienced" to not sometimes be thrilled at how things turn out!  :)  (Oh yes, the parsnips have done well also; although it's not in DD's league I'm not sure that bigger is always better when it comes to eating it!)
Little leeks 2010.JPG
Not so little leeks 2010.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: From little biros..........................
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 20:01 »
You must be very proud  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 20:14 »
Well Done to you JG.
Both are quality produce.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Spana

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 20:25 »
They both look excellent to me. :) 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:55 »
Well done JayG! :D Our first year of parsnips too, with what appears to be reasonable success although i'm trying to leave them in the ground until the fourth Friday in December ::), as you say you never lose the thrill of a new crop working for you. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

diggerjoe

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:27 »
my little pencil thick leeks have only managed fat crayon stage some might get to giant crayon stage but I tried a couple and they are very sweet - think I must be a bit earlier next year - well done JayG I'd be proud just have one leek that size :D

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:28 »
They look brill, I tried growing leeks aswell for the first time this year, and like you mine never reached pencil thickness until planted out ::) But mine are no where near as big or good as yours. ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32 »
What's your secret JayG?, my leek seedlings  are like yours when they are planted out but only reach the 'biro' stage by now!!

Well done on the Parsnips!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:02 »
What's your secret JayG?, my leek seedlings  are like yours when they are planted out but only reach the 'biro' stage by now!!

Well done on the Parsnips!

As a leek newbie I can't claim to have discovered any secrets about growing them!

I planted them out in the traditional 6" dibbed holes and watered them in at the beginning of June. I then waved a finger at them and issued the traditional "that's it, it's up to you now. You've got two choices!" warning and left them to it!

A couple of feeds of dried chicken poo, careful weeding making sure I didn't scatter any soil between the leaves, and the occasional watering was the only additional care they got.

(Oh, I did plant some of them "a la Monty Don"; 3 or 4 per planting hole - they're OK but not as big as the single ones needless to say. Whether the yield per planting hole is better or worse I can't really say at the moment.)

As for the parsnips, they have performed much better since my discovery a few years ago that sandy soil can be nutrient-deficient for veg and although parsnips will fork in newly-manured ground that doesn't mean they will flourish if half starved to death!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 15:52 »
mine started out looking like tall grass, but I planted them out some time after lifting my earlies and now they are about the thickness of my thumb. I'm hoping that they will bulk up a bit in the spring before I have to lift them. (we are eating some now - they taste great!)  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 13:07 »
JayG:Oh, I did plant some of them "a la Monty Don"; 3 or 4 per planting hole - they're OK but not as big as the single ones needless to say. Whether the yield per planting hole is better or worse I can't really say at the moment.)

How did they do?...........would you do them this way again?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 13:42 »
JayG:Oh, I did plant some of them "a la Monty Don"; 3 or 4 per planting hole - they're OK but not as big as the single ones needless to say. Whether the yield per planting hole is better or worse I can't really say at the moment.)

How did they do?...........would you do them this way again?

I suspect that the yield per hole is a bit more than for single leeks, and it's a good way of making sure you don't waste any of your precious young leeks if you are pushed for space!

Not quite sure I'm at ease with deliberately crowding crops, but I'll probably continue to do a mixture of both types of planting until a bad experience tells me I shouldn't!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 14:22 »
Something for me to try next year then.......ta very muchly :)

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 29 queries.