Even more earthy tasting eggs

• 3 Replies

Carshay

Even more earthy tasting eggs
« on: December 06, 2010, 17:57 »
Further to my previous post about earthy tasting eggs now all 5 hens are laying them. Presmably because they peck about in the run a lot. I try and give them different things to eat - greens carrot porridge etc but to no avail! Would it help if I put woodchip in the run or would that make them worse? They have been in the same area since I got them in September, if I move the run which would be quite dificult would the grass grow again in the original run? Any advice welcomed. Also I seem to be drowning in old Hemcore which hasn't composted yet - can I poo puck it and put that in the run?

orchardlady

Re: Even more earthy tasting eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 21:44 »
I should think it very unlikely that the grass will grow in the original run area if it's moved now unless it is re seeded as your birds have probably eaten the entire grass plants.

If you have a great deal of Hemcore give it away on Freecycle. There will be allotment keepers and gardeners who will just love it.

Hopefully others will be able to advise you on wood chip there has been a great deal of discussion on the subject on this forum.

As for the earthy eggs it sounds very strange but you seem to be giving your hens a mixed and good diet. I think that static runs can prove a problem. Have you thought of a movable ark and run that can be moved around your plot so the birds have fresh ground every few days and the used ground has time to recover from the hens onslaught before they return after a cycle? It can be rather heavy work and needs two people to move it and be regular about the moves to.

trish25158

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 23:44 »
Do you have any ferns in the run. We had foisty tasting eggs until we realised they were eating the ferns! It's obviously something that they are eating, good luck working it out :blink:

Carshay

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 19:18 »
Nothing much left to eat in run and don't think there was ever ferns in it. I only moved there in August and don't thinkthe garden had been looked after let alone had anything growing in it for years so maybe there are a lot of tiny insects that the girls are enjoying?!

exclamation
Earthy tasting eggs, help??

Started by chicuddle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 12:47
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Foul tasting eggs - please help

Started by pinkchick on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 15:19
by treacleminer
xx
best tasting egg

Started by chelle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 17:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Funny tasting egg

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 20:13
by Carshay

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 28 queries.