Brrrrr - feather poor chickens..

• 6 Replies

westview

Brrrrr - feather poor chickens..
« on: December 03, 2010, 19:52 »
Hi Everyone
I've recently (2weeks ago) rehomed 3 new ex batties and they're quite feather bare.....  I've been really worried about them in this cold weather and have been trying to compensate for their distinct lack of feather.  I've been giving them warm porridge in the mornings (made with water and some of their mash n corn mixed in).  I usually like to give them a handful of corn in the afternoons but 4 days a week i don't get home til dark so they're all cuddled up in their coop by then. 
The other thing I've been doing is putting a quilt over the coop at nite (plus they have stacks of straw in there!)...
Do you think I'm over doing it with the quilt at nite??  They are pretty bald around their necks and chest & actually look like they're shivering at times.... :unsure:
PS Merry Christmas everyone & I think this forum is great!    :D

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Re: Brrrrr - feather poor chickens..
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:38 »
Hi Westview, you don't need the quilt at night, in fact it might do more harm than good as they need air circulation.  Don't worry about them they have been around for a long time and will grow their feathers fairly soon.  So long as they are not in a draught they will be fine.  Give them some spice in the feed or poultry tonic in their water it will all help.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:16 »
What you are doing sounds grand. Lucky ladies with such a thoughtful new owner. I think the quilt is probably Ok as long as you do not block of the ventilation otherwise their breath causes condensation and the inside of their coop turns into a dank environment.
There was a thread just recently about Chicken jumper and I'll see if I can find it. If you are a knitter they sound wonderful but do make sure you remove them once in a while to make sure the feathers are growing well underneath and that no parasites have though it a cosy home.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18 »

westview

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 19:45 »
 :) Thank you Orchardlady and Alisonwo....  I'll make sure the vent isn't blocked at all.  I did wonder about the chicken jumpers but the BHWT British Hen Welfare Trust, where I got them from don't recommend them as if they get caught up they can get distressed.  And with my knitting there'll be a lot of wool hanging all around!!
It is so reassuring having you guys around - I can be bit of a worry wart and do like to spoil my animals.... but hey, it makes me happy and with my exbattie girls I like to think I'm trying to make up for their miserable beginnings............... :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 19:59 »
if you are unsure about your kniitting why not make a fleece as recommended by the little hen rescue:-
http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/jumpers.aspx
Staffies are softer than you think.

westview

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 20:43 »
Oh wow! thanks Joyful - they look great... will get straight on it   :happy:

xx
chickens - feather plucking

Started by fred54 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 09:00
by Vember
xx
Chickens losing feather on neck!

Started by rusbli on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 14:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
Feather Pulling

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 09:42
by Debz

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 30 queries.