Coal tar Disinfectant

• 3 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Coal tar Disinfectant
« on: July 26, 2007, 22:17 »
With a blank allotment last Autumn we had a low lying waterlogged area about 4ft x10ft, for which I took advice from this forum:
This was to cover with about a foot of cow manure and plant spuds through holes in black teram. I then forgot about it until 2 days ago when I harvested the spuds.
They were Desire with nice strong pink skins so I was hopeful the slugs would not bite. Well I was half lucky - about half the spuds were eaten and mushy and there were loads of slugs and a nice big ant hill.

But the rest of the spuds are great :D and of course they are a bonus cos the main objective was to get the spuds to do the cultivating for me :roll:

On advice from my next door plotter, I levelled the soil and applied a strong dose of tar oil disinfectant and placed the black teram back.

My question now to you experienced guys and dolls is how long must I wait until I can plant something else, should I mix in some fresh compost and what would be a good selection of veg to choose from :?:  :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Coal tar Disinfectant
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 13:36 »
No Idea Jim never used it, perhaps you could ask your plotter from next door? be nice to know.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Coal tar Disinfectant
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 15:00 »
I agree with Richy - ask the person who recommended it. I've never heard of coal tar used on soil. Dandruff, yes, but never soil.

WG.

Coal tar Disinfectant
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 15:59 »
:shock:  It isn't the last thing I'd put on my garden, but it is so far down the list as to make no real difference ...

xx
coal in the ground

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 29, 2008, 21:04
by Fat Hen
xx
coal and wood ash?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 14, 2009, 23:13
by JayG
xx
Coal ash, any good?

Started by Liverpool Brick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 08:53
by Liverpool Brick
xx
Coal Fire Ash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 22:24
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 28 queries.