What is wrong with my chicken.

• 9 Replies

Betty Boo

What is wrong with my chicken.
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:18 »
One of my 6 chickens is acting strangely.  She is loosing feathers rapidly.  Don't think it a moult as feathers coming out in chuncks even in my hands when I pick her up, and there is no sign of new feathers on skin to replace those that are coming out.  Her gait has changed as she is walking with over exaggeration like she is in pain.  The chickens are three years old and this hasn't happened before.  They are not allowed to run free over the garden so only eat what we provide.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: What is wrong with my chicken.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 13:55 »
Hi Betty Boo
That sounds really drastic if it's not a moult. Not sure at all what it could be but I know there is another blasted mite called feather mite that burrows into the actual feather quill part (sorry not sure what it's really called). Not sure if this makes the feathers fall out so it may not of any help but might be worth looking into?
Otherwise I'd bring the affected chx in in this weather if she's really bare with no new feathers coming through and take her to a vet asap.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 14:03 »
at that age I would still guess she is going through a full moult.

I have deleted your other post as it was asking exactly the same question.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 14:43 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Betty Boo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34 »
Sorry about that - did it twice cos couldn't see it come up on the forum.  My first time so didn't know if I had done it right.  Thanks for the info maybe it is a full moult as another chicken in the group is now loosing feathers.  We thought they had already been through the moult a few weeks ago - but perhaps these two were not having it at the same time as the others.  Does that happen?  We were worried because it seemed worse than other moults and because of the strange gait - which by the way seems better today.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:38 »
mine seem to be taking it in turns to moult - so I seem to have had birds in moult since last September/October

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 16:11 »
A full moult is a scary thing to behold.  First time one ours did it, I was horrified as I walked towards the pen.  I was convinced a fox had got in.  So many feathers! 
Finger's crossed, it's a natural moult.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:19 »
One of mine used to walk funny when she was moulting. She used to crouch near the ground as she was walking as if she was afraid of the sky. That's the only way I can describe it.

Little jack

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 20:55 »
 ???Hi, one of my chicken,s has the same thing too.Rapidly losing feather's , not moving mush and standing on one leg.I think she is going though her first moult.I felt sorry for her so ive brought her indoor.Now its day 3 of being indoors and she has really peaked up.My family think i am mad.......lol having a chicken in the bathroom, in a big box of course, well having 3 cats might be temping them just a bit.
Regards Jackie.

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:59 »
A moulting hen can look abjectly miserable. Try to ensure she is well protected from the wind and drafts, make sure your hens all have plenty to eat, make sure in this cold weather they have as much layers pellets as they can help themselves to throughout the day. Give them a decent vitamin supplement or poultry drink, some corn in the afternoon before bed and plenty of greens to peck at during the day. A whole cauliflower or cabbage is always a welcome treat and distraction.

Most of my 40 strong flock have been through their moult but I have one quite elderly girl who looks absolutely terrible. It must be like wearing a thin linen Summer jacket rather than a warm thick tweed overcoat. I rarely see my hens shiver but this old lady definitely is poor old girl.

Beano

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09 »
One of mine is in moult at the moment and it makes her very irritable. She is quite aggressive towards the two youngsters especially when there are treats to be had.
 :nowink:
El.

xx
What's Wrong with my Chicken???

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
what's wrong with my chicken ??

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 11:32
by Flowerpower136
xx
What's wrong with my chicken's legs?

Started by RachelD on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 23:27
by RachelD
xx
Chicken with dioreah? diet wrong?

Started by Charlee on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2006, 21:44
by Ian_P

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.