Do I Need An Earth Box

• 13 Replies

peter rooster

Do I Need An Earth Box
« on: November 22, 2010, 18:28 »
Hi

My chicken run is flagged is this OK :unsure:. I am looking at extending next year to give two sections of bare earth either end of shed. The run will be 75% roofed and 25 % open with chicken wire. Do I need a box of earth for them in the mean time? I seem to remember as a boy the chickens dusting themself in bare earth :happy:.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 21:41 by Ice »
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

Fisherman

Re: Do I Need A Earth Box
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 19:08 »
Its worth putting a dust bath in the run for them if nothing else it slows them down from trashing the ground. A box about 2 foot square with 6 inch high sides filled with peat moss, compost and coarse sand works for about 4 hens. Any bigger and it will be too heavy to move around especially when wet.

If you can keep the dust bath dry Diatom can be added to help minimise external parasites.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 20:01 »
Oh please do give them some dry earth to dustbathe in - about 3 or 4 inches deep in a big box or tub and the will love it

peter rooster

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 20:04 »
Thank you that will be on tomorrows list to do after I finish the roof. Think I have an old fish box that will do. When the roof is complete it will be dry. Is it worth putting a perch in the run?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 20:19 »
Mine have things in their run that the can jump up on.  They love doing it.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 23:21 »
mine love their dustbath, as soon as they see me clean it out and refresh the dust its a mad dash to see who can get there first. 10 mins later and most of the dust has been kicked and shaken out, its very amusing to watch

peter rooster

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 23:43 »
What do you put in your dust bath?

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 00:05 »
Play pit sand, potting compost and  normal garden earth. They love the fine dry mixture to run through their feathers.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:21 »
Chooks do seem to like a variety of things to hop up on and balance on etc.  Mine have a perch next to the pen door, and they get on that when they hear the back door open.  Gives them a better view of me coming down the steps!

They've got an old tyre with sand in, though don't use it for dust bathing.  However they love digging in it, and its another 'thing' for them to climb on.

They've also got access to our huge compost bays which are at the far end of their run, and they spend a lot of time in there sorting through the garden debris.  I've never had such well turned compost!

It all enriches their day with 'things to do'!

peter rooster

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 18:45 »
Hi

Like the sound of the compost bin in the run 8). I am going to extend the run to give them a bare earth section will think of putting a compost bin in the middle. Since i have been putting chicken muck on the heap the worms have increased  :)a lot. Does anybody see any snags with compost bin in run?

peter rooster

bluemaran

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 21:06 »
wouldnt it give them access to rotting veg etc.Also if you put chicken manure on the compost heap they will be digging in that,not sure it will be good for them.But having said that,if they free range around farm yards etc,it must be ok.

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 21:32 »
If your birds and coop suffer at anytime in the future with red mite...DO NOT put any used bedding on your compost bin if your hens have access to them as the mites will simply climb aboard again and back to the house and the cycle of infestation with never be broken.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 22:22 »
Hi

Like the sound of the compost bin in the run 8). I am going to extend the run to give them a bare earth section will think of putting a compost bin in the middle. Since i have been putting chicken muck on the heap the worms have increased  :)a lot. Does anybody see any snags with compost bin in run?

peter rooster

If you have a worm-based composting system, the chickens will gobble up all your worms!  If you have a heat-based system it will be fine, and of course benefit from the turning and extra nitrogen provided by the hens.

Flowerpower136

Re: Do I Need An Earth Box
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 16:45 »
Our compost bays were there before the girls, I just built the run round them.  As you can see the girls love them, treat them like a bouncy castle.  I've lowered one edge for easy chicken access.  Every tubby trug that gets tipped in attracts a crowd as it all has to be sorted through.  They really do enjoy a good rumage for bugs and for any bit of vegetation that might take their fancy.  For that reason I separate things like fox gloves or monkshood.  I have a separate 'poison' compost bin outside of the run.

However, must make the point that I don't put fresh 'chicken debris' on these heaps, I have 2 plastic darlek bins (just out of picture within the run) with close fitting lids, and that that's were the fresh poo goes.  Only when it's composted down does it get mixed into the the main heaps.  I wouldn't like the idea of the girls digging about in fresh poo, and also got to think about flies and smells in summer.

xx
how on earth

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 13:29
by dawnie77
xx
Diatomaceous Earth

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 11:38
by OpiumEater
xx
diatomous earth

Started by westie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 21:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Earth worms... Yes or No..

Started by hen-night on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 08:34
by hen-night

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 30 queries.