mangel

• 16 Replies

rowlandwells

mangel
« on: November 22, 2010, 14:30 »
 we talking about gardening matters as you do and i mentioned if anyone had grown mangel as mangel seed didn't seem to be in the seed catalogues these days  i suspect there probably not being grown anymore although they are more a member of the agricultural family :blush:

i havent seen nangel grown round here for a long time for those who have never heard of mangel or mangel wurzel as they used to be called they are about the size of a football if i remember colour being of yellowy orange a lot like swede they where used for cattle and horse feed mainly mixed with straw finely chopped [chaff]  people that grew mangel on the lottie used it for making wine when harvested it in the field  a type of two pronged fork with short prongs was used so you could stab the mangel and through it on the trailer or cart when they cut the mangel up for feed they had a hand cutter  they fed the mangel into the cutter and it sliced it up a real task. one needed a good strong arm to turn that machine i wounder if there's anyone out there still grows mangel or remembers it being grown  :) :) :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: mangel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 15:41 »
I've only ever heard of it being used as animal fodder and not so recently. Its a type of beet isn't it?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 17:39 »
Mangel wurzel is the german name, mangold is the English name. They are about 10% sugar so good for wine.

Mangolds are a close relative of sugar beet, fodder beet and beetroot. I did see some seed on an American website a while ago. Try googling it.

An easier option might be to grow some yellow or white varieties of beetroot if you want some for wine.

It was very labour intensive to grow and could not be mechanically harvested as it bruised easily. Any roots that are grown for feeding livestock are now usually fodder beet which are much harder than mangolds.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 19:27 »
That reminds me.....

Was browsing in a local nursery to one of my schools and found these....

Etty still do the seeds.....
mangol-wurzel.jpg

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 19:27 »
Try here
http://tuckers-seeds.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_91

They do an interesting range  :)

Malcolm

The worm that turned

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 19:48 »
i know you said they were used for animal feed, but can they be eaten by humans?
LISA X X X

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 20:03 »
It depends on just how hungry you are  :nowink:

spottymint

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 20:47 »
Hi

They grew them on the Victorian Farm, remember them burying them to store them & the hand chopper to chop them up for feed.

Maybe that might be an option, contact/look up the details of Victorian Farm & see if there is any info on mangols

Mark-S

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 21:20 »
i have some mangold seeds, they are from the variety Feldherr - if you want a few seeds i could send them to you.

Mangols are effectively fodder beet which has been quite righty described as animal fodder.
Most forage seed companies (Wynnstay, Olivers Seeds etc) will supply fodder beet seed - usually in 1 hecare packs - which is slightly more than you would want.

its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:19 »
That reminds me.....

Was browsing in a local nursery to one of my schools and found these....

That's impressive! :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:58 »
thanks all for your replies i did go on Tuckers site and found they do supply the seed in there agriculture section i need to give this some thought about growing it  as from what your saying  its labour intensive it could be a bit more trouble than its worth  ???

zazen999

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 18:23 »
thanks all for your replies i did go on Tuckers site and found they do supply the seed in there agriculture section i need to give this some thought about growing it  as from what your saying  its labour intensive it could be a bit more trouble than its worth  ???

I think it's more the fact that they are a little tough - so only fit for livestock feed.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 19:15 »
i bought some yellow mangel wurzel seed from Kings and grew them mostly for animal fodder. i tried one roasted and it was bleurgh.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 19:58 »
That's why it depends on just how hungry you are ;)

If you were starving it would probably taste a whole lot better :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 20:12 »
But I don't know what bleurgh tastes like! I did think it didn't sound very appetising though. :(

xx
Does anyone else grow Mangel Wurzels?

Started by Rob the rake on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2022, 08:44
by ferazop

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 30 queries.