rolling around in dirt?!

• 10 Replies

kellym

rolling around in dirt?!
« on: November 21, 2010, 14:08 »
afternoon everyone just a quicky today  :) i cleaned my 2 girls out this morning and dug over all the soil thats in thier run. i added some pea gravel in thier too. they always scratch around in the mounds of soil but i went outside and found that one of them had dug a hole and was rolling around in it......she has never done that before???? is this normal??? started to panic when i saw her lay on her side and looking all scruffy lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: rolling around in dirt?!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 14:10 »
perfectly normal she was having a dust bath  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

kellym

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 14:16 »
thanks for that joyfull im new to all this so the first sign of something new i tend to ask about as dont know whats normal and what isnt at the moment lol  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 14:19 »
just wait until you see them sunbathing - they lie on their sides with a wing outstretched and eyes closed. You sprint across the garden , fearing the worse, tripping over other birds and dogs and the little madams just open 1 eye as if to say "what?"

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 14:37 »
just wait until you see them sunbathing - they lie on their sides with a wing outstretched and eyes closed. You sprint across the garden , fearing the worse, tripping over other birds and dogs and the little madams just open 1 eye as if to say "what?"
I just LOVE it when I see them doing their PILATES. When, in graceful movements, they stick each leg and wing out in very gracious movement. It never fails to make me roar with laughter.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 15:02 »
My hens when dust bathing look like they are on some psychedelic drug. They look totally zoned out man! :nowink:

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 15:22 »
And then when they see you from the far end of the run and they just know that you have some lettuce in your hand - they seem to lift up their skirts (that is the only way I can describe it) and do an Olympic sprint towards you.  :)

Mine also love a dust bath - I have even seen them trying to dust bath when their little holes in the ground are wet after the rain.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 15:31 »
I just LOVE it when I see them doing their PILATES. When, in graceful movements, they stick each leg and wing out in very gracious movement. It never fails to make me roar with laughter.

Also called, doing a Freddie Mercury! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 19:37 »
Ours on Friday found the only dry bit in the garden, under the conifers, and they spent at least 30 minutes in dust bath heaven :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 13:01 »
mine love to take dust baths and then come right over to you, have a big old shake/stretch/flap and spray you with dirt  :nowink:
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 15:11 »
At this time of year, once everything is finished in the greenhouse I leave it open for the girls, they spend winter turning it over for me, usually dust bathing in a line, really funny...

xx
hatching eggs with a broody - they're rolling around, help!

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 11:00
by stan deakin
xx
Red mites-eat dirt !!!

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 12:36
by joyfull
xx
Dirt in water

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 21:13
by poultrygeist
xx
Why is my hen scratching and laying in the dirt??

Started by mommap on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 02:33
by mommap

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 29 queries.