Red mite finally killed off with a new treatment.

• 34 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Red mite finally killed off with a new treatment.
« on: November 17, 2010, 18:27 »
I want to reccomend to you all a product that I have tried after totally losing the battle against red mite.  It is available in Mole Vally and called Oxyfly.  About £42 for abottle which dilutes a long way.  After trying every known treatment this year I gave this a go and it has worked a treat!  On their web site it is described as a milking parlour treatment for flys but can be used as a crevis treatment against red mite.  Only took one treatment and it knocked them on the head 1st time!  Have much left to us next spring and will get it in the hen house at the begining of the season so they do not get a hold to start with.  When you have spent a fortune on other treatments its good to find something that works!
mrs.ploppy

jinty1911

Re: Red mite finally killed off with a new treatment.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 20:24 »
Just checked the web and it seems pretty powerful stuff.  Just hope I never need it (would need to dress like a spacewoman).
Jinty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 21:30 »
Did you read all of the statutory stuff first?

On the label: "APPLY ONLY IN AREAS INACCESSIBLE TO LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY"
http://www.flycontrol.novartis.co.uk/product/en/data_oxyfly.shtml

The product information also specifies it is for professional use.
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf-static/reports/product/pdf/25487.pdf

I think that indicates that amateurs shouldn't be using it in domestic poultry housing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 21:35 »
I want to reccomend to you all a product that I have tried after totally losing the battle against red mite.  It is available in Mole Vally and called Oxyfly.  About £42 for abottle which dilutes a long way.  After trying every known treatment this year I gave this a go and it has worked a treat!  On their web site it is described as a milking parlour treatment for flys but can be used as a crevis treatment against red mite.  Only took one treatment and it knocked them on the head 1st time!  Have much left to us next spring and will get it in the hen house at the begining of the season so they do not get a hold to start with.  When you have spent a fortune on other treatments its good to find something that works!

What treatments did you try Mrs Ploppy?  Did you try Mibenex and Ficam W because thsese are very effective.
HF
Truth through science.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 22:55 »
Yes I read all the info on this product before use.   Read everything on their website even before purchase.  Of corse you have to be sensible around the animals what ever you use and found it easy to use and not smelly etc.  Hens have been very gratefull since the treatment as I really had tried everything bar burning down the blessed hen house but thought that extreme.  Been battleing the dreaded mite for about 4 years now and this worked 1st go without any ill affect to the birds.  Thier fethers are much better, eggs are up even though they should be going down this time of year and the hens are looking fitter and colour in the combs more red than they have been. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 23:05 »
So are you licensed for professional use, Mrs Ploppy?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 23:11 »
 No I am not licenced for this product and I do not have to be.  Freely availiable on the shelf not behind the counter at Mole Vally.  And I do not intend to get into a heated debate over this post.  The information I gave was for those whom it was intended.  Those like myself who had tried many different products that for some reason or another has not worked.  I would not advocate that every Tom, Dick or Harry go and purchase this product as it would be no good for those with only 1 or 2 hens and small house, but when you have many and a large hen house like I do then this was good for my cercumstances.  Also only if you had a bad infestation like myself over a long period.  

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 23:43 »
so what other treatments had you tried before this?
Whilst using it what did you do with your chickens or does it dry really quickly?
Creosote like oxyfly is also freely available but is only for use by licensed users.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 00:27 »
so what other treatments had you tried before this?

Hi Mrs Ploppy,  I'm always interested in effective RM treatments but as it's also reasonably expensive I'd be interested to know if it has benefits over Ficam & particularly Milbenex which I thought was the 'gold standard' RM treatment. I believe Milbenex isn't so expensive so I'm certainly interested to know if this worked where it (and FICAM W) failed.

Thanks for letting us know about this product irrespective of what restrictions there may or maynot be on it's use it's always of interest to know what's out there for RM treatment.

HF

fethoboy

• live life to the full.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 00:39 »
you wont go far wrong with creosote,if you mix it with deisel oil its even better.But only the real stuff,if you know where to get it from just tell them you need some to paint your hen house,for the protection of red mite,if they are reasonable they should provide you with  some.Most of the time its only supplied in drums though.and its very expensive.But good.

steve.
call ducks for me.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:59 »
fethoboy if you read my post creosote is only for authorised people not people who keep chickens as a hobby as it is carceogenic and even then it is for the treatment of previously treated timber. We cannot condone it's use on this forum.

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19 »
Wow - Don't kill the lady for giving you information!
In truth, this stuff has been around for over 20 years. It's an artificial pyrethrin so, whilst considered harmful, is actually safe with normal pesticide care procedures - i.e. don't be careless / use the protection demanded by the manufacturers. It is virtually non-toxic to birds if used as intended. Like all similar chemicals it is extremely dangerous to fish. It is used, especially in USA, to treat cow sheds and animal houses. The warning on the label to keep away from animals is, I think, about keeping the liquid away from them as drinking undiluted material would be dangerous. Never try to make an animal or person vomit if they have drunk any. In mammals such as humans, any small amounts taken in whilst treating are quickly excreted in the urine.
Whilst I would happily use it, I can't comment on cost effectiveness. Please, if you need insecticides don't mix them. Stop using one, clean, then start with another. Just overspraying will eventually lead to resistance and that could affect us all.
A few posters comment on other mite treatments; apart from materials such as diatomaceous earth abrasives there must always be some effect on people handling them, for example even diesel is a skin irritant. Again sensible precautions are all you need. Creosote was banned because it is a known carcinogen, causing skin tumours. It is not clever to try to get around the ban; in twenty years time you might pay a high price.

swisschicken

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 10:19 »
I can also recommend a product which I bought a few weeks ago. It is made from natural extracts of aromatic plants. I had spent months researching different products for something totally natural which would not harm the chooks in anyway. I was able to contact the scientist who developed it who was reluctant to sell me any as I only have about 50 chickens and typically it is sold to large egg producers. You simply have to add 8 ml to 10 litres of water and feed them this for 8-10 consecutive days then once a week for the next 10 weeks. Not only did they  perk up, but all of the mites left the chooks and the house. It is expensive to buy, 45 euros for a litre, but this will last for ages given the dosage, so it's actually much cheaper than other products. Let me know if you want more details and I will try to get the chap to ship you some.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:27 by swisschicken »

swisschicken

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21 »
Forgot to add, he finally agreed to sell me some as he heard the desperation in my voice :wacko:

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41 »
Forgot to add, he finally agreed to sell me some as he heard the desperation in my voice :wacko:

Wow :ohmy: you don't often come across a product producer who doesn't want to sell his/her product!  I'd certainly be interested to know more because it sounds too good to be true which in my experience is usually the case ;).

Red Mite don't live on the birds so I'd be interested to understand the mechanism which is working here .  Does it kill the adult mites hence disrupting their breeding cycle or is it some sort of repellent which causes them all one day to pack their bags and leave? :D
HF

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red mite treatment

Started by Spadefighter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:25
by Bonniebean
xx
red mite treatment?

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 15:40
by patsyg323
xx
Spray on mite treatment?

Started by annr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 20:35
by grinling

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 30 queries.