So where do you get large amounts of Compost/bark chippings?

• 5 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
I have pretty much given up on the plot for this year, was very late putting things in but as it is our first year I feel ok about it, glad to have got it clear, had some potaotes before the blight set in and have a couple of corgettes forming.

Anyway... I would like to kind of put it to work/ sleep over the winter, I want to add loads of good stuff and then mulch so it can do it's stuff without loads of weeds forming.
but really buying bark chips from Band Q is going to me mega £ching£ and I have no idea where to get that amount of compost/manure
Do you all have trailers? or do some places deliver to the sites??
Rich where do you get this type of stuff? (in Leicester)

Thanks all.

splodger

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:57 »
try your local council - find out where the composting site is - my local site charges £5 per 1/2 ton (good soil conditioner) they may deliver a large quantity.

local farmers are often happy to help with manure - average price per large trailer load is £30

use your yellow pages - look for wholesalers / garden suppliers. they will do deals on bark chips - or call a few tree surgeons - most will shred - ask if you can have some.

lastly sawmills may have wood chips and shavings etc.

there are a number of horse owners near me for manure - i just go and bag up 1/2 doz bags at a time - all year round.

the advantage of going to a private: they are pleased to get rid of it - and it's free. also you will find that there is a great deal more well rotted material - as it stays there for years  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:28 »
The local council dump tons of the stuff at ours Loubylou,  get in touch with the allotment officer contact Amenities and Allotments on (0116) 251 8666 they may be able to help.

I'm thinking of doing mine as there is very little left on my plot now, I've had a very bad year with mine, all we have thats worth keeping now is runners, spuds a few courgettes, sweetcorn and a few other bits most of it is weed ridden again, they don't stop growing with this rain.

Suns out today so I'm off up the lottie with 6 kids in tow  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jockster

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 17:03 »
I got the yellow pages out and phoned tree surgeons in the area and asked that if they were passing to dump chippings / shredding at entrance to allotment. 1 week late had a pile of about 2 tons. Worth a try.

Cheers, Simon

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 19:03 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
The local council dump tons of the stuff at ours Loubylou,  get in touch with the allotment officer contact Amenities and Allotments on (0116) 251 8666 they may be able to help.

I'm thinking of doing mine as there is very little left on my plot now, I've had a very bad year with mine, all we have thats worth keeping now is runners, spuds a few courgettes, sweetcorn and a few other bits most of it is weed ridden again, they don't stop growing with this rain.

Suns out today so I'm off up the lottie with 6 kids in tow  :roll:

Blimey Rich, 6 kids? are they all yours??I was down our lottie today with 4 kids in tow.. they had the greatest time with a bucket of water.. got totally soaked, but kept them happy.
The weeds are unbelievable at the moment, I can't cope with them, when I get down there the weeding I did last (usually a week at the moment) time seems to have all come back.

Our allotment stewrad isn't great at sourcing things, but she is great within the site though.
I have rung a few tree surgons but no luck yet. one has said he would text me, but that was about a month ago so  :(

Will call that number thankyou, I knoew you'd help me... so nice to have you here!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 20:32 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"

Blimey Rich, 6 kids? are they all yours??I was down our lottie today with 4 kids in tow.. they had the greatest time with a bucket of water.. got totally soaked, but kept them happy.
The weeds are unbelievable at the moment, I can't cope with them, when I get down there the weeding I did last (usually a week at the moment) time seems to have all come back.

Yep all mine in fact we have 7, 6 boys and 1 girl, eldest is 19 at work, his idea of coming down the lottie is sitting on the verge with my car radio blaring away having a fag  :roll:  Yes weeds have got the better of me this year  :oops: I've just sprayed 60% of the plot off with roundup today in disgust and also did the plot next to me as I'm taking that one on as well, plans for that one are a shed for sitting in bit of grass to sit in the sunshine, small wildflower patch, flowers for cutting and soft fruit.

Set mine on lifting spuds, that lasted for about 10 mins till most of them went down to no 2 sons plot and "helped" him  :wink:

xx
bark chippings as compost/mulch

Started by otis pony on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 16:18
by savbo
xx
Group purchase of large amounts of muck

Started by Cabbie37 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 10:07
by savbo
xx
Bark Chippings

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 16:09
by richyrich7
xx
Fruit bed and bark chippings

Started by digital_biscuit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 22:03
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 1.241 seconds with 27 queries.