feeding greens?

• 16 Replies

avilla

feeding greens?
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:49 »
hi all

we have recently aquired 2 chooks,am just wondering what greens you all feed your chooks as ours seem a bit fussy :tongue2:

We have tried feeding them cabbage(chopped finely and hanging one from the run) but they seem to be not intereseted.

I hung a lettuce up the other day( dont want to keep giving them this thou as I heard it will give them the runs) and they stripped it clean as with the corn on the cob we hung up for them.

We was just looking for some advice on any other greens we could try them on please :)

This will probably be the 1st of many queries over the next few weeks/months!!

look forward to hearing your ideas

Many thanks :)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:54 by avilla »

JohnVW

Re: feeding greens?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:24 »
My chooks are also fussy when it comes to green vegetables.  They won't touch raw cabbage, but chop it up small and microwave it in a tiny bit of water for five minutes, let it cool and they go mad for it.  I never give them lettuce.  Another favourite is celery leaves, they love it.  I think the secret is, when you find what it is they like, don't give them too much.  They also love cold rice and cold cauliflower stalks and leaves, cooked as the cabbage. Just be sure never to give them any leaves from potatoes or tomatoes. John

hen maiden

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26 »
My girls love ruby chard. It's dead easy to grow too.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 13:05 »
mine LOVE tomatoes, green beans and pepper.  Oh and apple, banana... etc etc :)

CC xx
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 13:34 »
Dark green veg is good for them, eg kale and broc. Mine love a quartered cabbage to play with and it keeps them occupied. They love chard and beetroot leaves, toms, grated carrot, halved courgettes, cauli. Some of the hard veg you have to help them with and get into it for them or break it up or grate it. One of mine has a dodgy beak so she gets help  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 13:59 »
Mine only eat raw Spring Greens.  They dont seem to be interested in any other kind of cabbage or brocolli unless it's cooked.
Jinty

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 14:57 »
Welcome to the forum Avilla  :)

Good luck with your chooks and as you can see you get loads of advice and suggestions here.

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 15:05 »
My girls love peas straight from the pod, corn on the cob, cauliflower leaves, broccoli, tomatoes etc.  I gave them some broad beans once and the went crackers for them!
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:24 »
Hi, my girls love dandelion leaves hung up in big bunches...........and they're free!!
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:34 »
When we weed our garden we chuck all of them into the girls, they have great fun with them, especially chick weed which they love.  The only think my girls don't like is cucumber for some reason, with cauliflowers cheap at the moment in Lidl I buy a couple of them and hang them up and they don't last long either! Alison

helens-hens

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 13:02 »
It amazes me how much hen's tastes differ. I've seen several messages where people mention their hens love grapes - mine weren't interested. Then Alisonewo says hers don't like cucumber whereas mine sprint across the garden to me if I they see I have some! For greens, mine also like the spring greens hung up (prefer this to other cabbage), sometimes I also split a head of broccolli and hang that up. Most left over boiled veg also goes down v.well too.
Helen

Sue33

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 13:04 »

My girls love beetroot leaves  :D

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 15:05 »
It is strange how they have different tastes...mine love grapes!

Once I gave them a few raspberries, Mildred and Gertie gobbled them up, but Bess wasn't interested. Same with chickweed, Bess and Mildred love it but Gertie isn't bothered by it.  They're all completely ravenous for pasta, tomatoes. grapes and dandelion leaves (their favourites). I could have them jumping through hoops of fire if I tempted them with spaghetti.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 16:55 »
I give my chickens sliced up marrow and courgette and that causes a scramble!!  Surprised to hear that some like beetroot leaves so will try that as got a large crop left which needs to be pulled up.  Ours also like cabbage (raw) and other greens leaved plants with cooked potatoes , etc , and obviously most weeds but for some reason not groundsel!!

jinty1911

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 17:31 »
Just tried mine with Marrow and green beans - no joy.  Hung a stalk of Brussel Sprouts (reduced to 74p in Asda) and they were attacked, even the broody got up for some.
Jinty

xx
feeding greens?

Started by avilla on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 10:20
by ManicMum
xx
feeding greens to chickens

Started by johnfh on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 21:07
by OpiumEater
xx
Greens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 00:20
by Lindeggs
xx
greens?

Started by adi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 17:41
by SarahJC

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 36 queries.