Herbs on allotment

• 8 Replies

Solidthegreat

Herbs on allotment
« on: October 21, 2010, 19:55 »
Hi all, i was thinking of setting aside a portion of my patch for a herb garden. Nothing massive, but enough to plant a variety of herbs. My question is does anyone know how best to control the root systems as i know some herbs (ie mint) grow like wildfire and come up everywhere and over run other less intrusive plants and kill them off. Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Herbs on allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 19:57 »
Plant them in a pot, which can then be sunk in to give the appearance of being planted
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 19:59 »
or a bucket sunk in the ground will do
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Solidthegreat

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 20:02 »
Ah makes sense, but will the roots not rot if the container collects water. even if i put holes in it?

savbo

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:54 »
most herbs like very free-draining soil (being mediterranean often) so planting mint (which likes it damp) in a bucket will solve that problem as well as the invasive issue

gillie

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55 »
Of the commonly grown culinary herbs only mint is invasive. 

Thymes, sages, marjorams and rosemaries  are all shrubby plants which behave themselves.  Parsley can be planted out in a row like a veg. Chives and fennel tend to seed themselves around and can be a mild nuisance.  Coriander bolts very easily and basil is very tender and probably best grown on the kitchen window ledge.

Gillie

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:12 »
Gilly advice is good, but remember that some of those can grow quite large, I made the mistake with sage this year and planted a bit too much and it over the bed, however I now have a freezer full of sage leaves.
I put mint and tarragon in bottom less pots, sage, thyme, oregano, chives, garlic chives, flat parsley, dill, rosemary, and lemon balm were straight in the bed.
On the note of freezing, I grow the common old russian tarragon which I froze this year for the first time and found it has an incredible flavour.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 13:23 »
I've stopped growing herbs on the plot, preferring to have them at hand in my back yard.

Too many times have I started cooking something that just needs a sprig of.... D'oh! the herbs are on the allotment  ::)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 14:05 »
I agree with almost everything which has been said, including the fact that it makes sense to grow culinary herbs as close to your kitchen as possible.

In my experience, although mint grows well in buried pots it does need repotting every year because the confinement causes severe root congestion at the top of the pot. The mint needs watering more often than if planted in open ground.

Parsley needs richer soil and more water than most of the tougher aromatic herbs, and for me grows better in partial shade than full sunshine.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Suitable Herbs For Allotment

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 19:22
by pigeonpie
xx
Herbs

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 11:13
by JayG
xx
herbs

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 19:46
by DD.
xx
herbs

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:41
by Annie

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 38 queries.