Why leafmould in a chicken wire cage and not a bin?

• 8 Replies

Zippy

Why leafmould in a chicken wire cage and not a bin?
« on: October 11, 2010, 16:37 »
I have a spare dalek, large one, and I don't have a lot of spare room now to put up a chicken wire bin to hold autumn leaves for leafmould making.

All internet sites say for leafmould to use a cube of four posts and chicken wire to hold the leaves while they rot, but I found most of the leaves around the outside were still dry and not rotted down, thought he centre was nice and rotted.

Is there any good reason why a dalek composter would not do a better job as leaves don't need air to rot down and would be better if kept damp right to the outsides of the bin?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Why leafmould in a chicken wire cage and not a bin?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 16:50 »
use your dalek.............Carol Kline says you can use a black bin bag with holes punched in and that works...doesn't have to be a wire bin.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 17:43 »
The reason for using wire cages is that the leaves dry out quickly. Using wire cages lets rain in to keep the leaves damp. Use the dalek but be prepared to dampen the leaves occasionally.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 20:49 »
I put some leaves in my dalek last year (along with chicken muck and flax bedding), and when I emptied it a few weeks ago, the leaves had formed great heavy solid masses and hadn't really composted at all. I've now put the whole lot on the compost heap (which is a sort of square box made of pallets), and it seems to be composting much better there.

veggieman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 20:48 »
use your dalek.............Carol Kline says you can use a black bin bag with holes punched in and that works...doesn't have to be a wire bin.

I always used the holed bin bags successfully in the past to create leaf mould. Unfortunately, there are no trees around here in Shetland so I can't do that here.
 :(
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 23:33 »
I had good results with the black bags. I used to shove em down the air raid shelter and forget about them. It does take a long time for them to make leaf mould but it's worth it as it's great for breaking up soils. I like to use it when sowing carrots  :)  I have made a proper wire leaf bin on my plot and at the moment it's empty as I've used every last scrap of it when I planted my spuds.  I do stir mine regularly, which is easy if they're in a big wire box  :)

Zippy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51 »
After all that pondering I have decided to build my leafmould in a wire bin as I can leave a few gaps at the bottom for hibernating animals to burrow underneath and find a warm home for winter and repay me by eating slugs next spring!  Not so easy to do with a dalek composter, which will be used for compost.

When full this autumn I will continue to collect into black bags and top the bin up as the pile goes down. I am lucky to have been asked by a local Well-being Community Yoga centre to be their leaf collector.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 15:53 »
yes that'a a good plan. I always go at mine tentatively as when the leaves are dry they're an ideal cover for hedgehogs. Moley loves it under there and he churned the soil up a treat under there. So much so that I emptied it all out and made a raised bed with the soil  :)

Make sure your leaves have no dog muck in em

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 16:08 »
Good point CompostQueen. I always take leafmould out by hand as I would hate to lose a hedgehog with a carelessly placed fork and I never stab into compost heaps for the same reason - always scoop with a blunt fork.

I wouldn't mind dog muck so much as the presents cats can leave behind!  :ohmy: :tongue2:

xx
Climbers for my chicken wire

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 20:38
by Tracybutton
xx
Runner beans climbing chicken wire?

Started by WebSiteEvo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 11:41
by andreadon
xx
leafmould

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 10:08
by savbo
smiley
Leafmould

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 20:23
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 30 queries.