dog sitting

• 11 Replies

dollybird

dog sitting
« on: October 10, 2010, 14:43 »
we are looking after my neices dog for a week and we got 8 ex batty hens. will the dog bother them? he wont be able to get into them but will be able to see them.  any tips on a harmonius union with peace or should i expect ruffled feathers and lots of barking thanks jackie

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: dog sitting
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 14:49 »
I think the main tip would be to make sure the dog has no way of frightening/attacking your hens. The chances are he has never seen chickens before so will be very excited and in turn it could turn nasty. If you read some of the threads on this forum, you will hear of some not great things that have happened when dogs can get hold of chickens. The opposite side is that some people have dogs and their dogs live in harmony with the chickens. But do remember these dogs have most probably grown up with them.

Keep them seperate as he is not trained/grown up with chickens and keep your ladies safe and secure.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 14:51 by alancane »
Alan

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 16:36 »
Well my dogs have been brought up with my chickens and will still chase them  >:(  so being used to them is no guarantee that they wont attack anyway.....

Also a friend of mine is staying at her friends house for a couple of days and her dog has attacked the chickens on friday.... resulting in an horrific wound to the birds back and it having to be destroyed :(

So never imagine that dogs are ever safe with chickens :( :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 20:41 »
My chickens and dogs mix quite happily, but a friend brought her dog round a few weeks ago and the chooks went mad with panic. All the dog did was look at them through the wire and they went beserk. It might be an idea to put the dog on a lead and approach slowly to see what their reaction is.

dollybird

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 22:46 »
thank you i will have dog on lead as suggested and walk him round garden for a while. i no he has no way of getting into them we have made run ect like fort knocks in readiness for bently,s arrivel and he will be supervised at all times.  my worry now is that the girls will be frieghtened just by him being around. thank you jackie

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01 »
I have foster dog's (mostly working springer's) I've been lucky so far they just have a look and leave them alone :). No oh's jrt is a different story, My girl's were abit scared at first but now they just ingnore him :).

Chablis Dog

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:09 »
Just don't risk it, keep the dog away.  I have had several nasty incidents with my dogs and hens and that is even with having tall stock fencing around the hen's paddock (now supplemented with chicken wire and electric fencing!).  Partly of course it depends on the breed of dog.  My Deerhound isn't remotely interested but both my Pointer and Springer have killed one each of my hens and I caught the Pointer trying to drag one of my young hens through the stock fencing the other day (I rescued it and it survived to my very great surprise!).  If they are interested, they can be very determined as I have learned to my cost.

cathy81walking

• Aspirations to Heligan's perfection in my dreams..
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:19 »
Indeed, a determined dog will find the chink in your defences - as we found out yesterday to our distress.... :(

My 7 year old son didn't shut the gate properly and the dog saw her opportunity.  Poor Tikka - RIP in chicken heaven.

I had to deal with a distraught son who blamed himself and a smug dog who was pretending to look sorry cos she knew she was in trouble....but you can't stay angry with a dog who is just acting on instinct.  It's our job to keep the ladies safe from the canines who are effectively just wolves that live in our houses!   :)

I don't think any of us will get over 'gate paranoia' now ???
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done ;)

Biguba

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:59 »
Don't take any risks. In my experience chickens and dogs do not mix. I too have suffered the upset of having to put a bird to sleep after our dog got hold of it. Horrible.  :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:17 »
Only the other week, my adorable, gentle, fun loving puppy labrador bitch, got into my chicken run and 'played' with my 4 ex-batts for 2 hours, resulting in 2 with rip wounds to their backs and one so shocked, she died a few days later.  Even the lovliest of dogs, that are used to the chooks being around will get a bit over-excited and do damage without meaning it.
You girls will be scared for a while...not long though. Mine had never even seen the light of day and the were confronted with children running about, a crying baby and a barking lab. They were worried for about half an hour. Once they realised that nothing could get in to them, they settled right down, as I'm sure, your girls will do too xx  Gentle introductions and super secure coop/run and you'll be fine x
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:28 »
How many times have we heard chicken owners say "Our dog would never ever trouble our chickens"   shortly for them to post .....    :( :( :(

dollybird

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 14:01 »
the dog arrived yesterday, i walked him round the garden on the lead and he took one look at them and dragged me into the house. he wont go down the bottom of the garden, he is not barking at them, in short thank fully he is a wimp.... and the chooks, well they run into the coop the the first time but now just keep one eye on him and one on their dinner.  he wont be left alone on the garden at any time but i feel just a tad more relaxed now. thanks again for all your very welcome advice, jackie

xx
Hen sitting

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 12:07
by ANHBUC
xx
Sitting but no egg

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 08:55
by dizzylizzie
xx
one hen sitting down

Started by naughty nick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 17:37
by mumsy
xx
Duck sitting

Started by jamima on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:10
by jamima

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 30 queries.