Why are my chickens not laying?

• 15 Replies

DannyRD

Why are my chickens not laying?
« on: October 09, 2010, 17:29 »
Hi Guys
I am new to keeping chickens and new to the forum, so hello...! ;)

I took collection of four Marans about three weeks ago and they were 17 weeks old then... Since then they have been fed layers pellets, corn/seeds in the afternoon and i have made grit and oyster shell available at all times. Every afternoon they come out of their run and explore the garden for and hour or two and they are very happy little chooks.

So far their has not been a single egg! they sleep in their nesting boxes (and poo!) but no eggs... I was not expecting many eggs due to the shortening days but i was expecting 1 or 2 by now...

Any suggestions?

Danny

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Why are my chickens not laying?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 17:41 »
Have patience, 20 weeks is still quite young.  Block off the nest box at dusk, just before they retire for the night and remove it again after dark when they will have given up and used the perch instead.
Cheese makes everything better.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 17:45 »
20 weeks is still young and you may have to wait up to another 10 weeks or less, or more!

Wise man say - a watched kettle never boils  (not sure if the same applies to chickens)

Just enjoy having them and before long you will have your gifts waiting for you in the moinng. And welcome to the forum   :tongue2:
Alan

DannyRD

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 17:51 »
Thank you guys...
I must say I am loving having them anyway and they are so friendly they peck out of my hands...

cheers  :tongue2:

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 19:44 »
Sorry but you may have to wait until after Christmas now. But the good news is that they will lay for longer! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 20:11 »
Welcome, welcome. To block off the nest boxes use an old shoe box to 'fill' the space. You'll love hen keeping and once you get your first eggs you will be smitten for life. My husband is still waiting for the novelty to wear off and I started hen keeping over 15 years ago now. :lol: :lol:

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 13:36 »
hi there my 20 wk old lohmann browns started laying on saturday i got one egg yesterday and another today ! The eggs are quite small only 2.5" in length but are perfectly formed with good hard shell and very orangey yolks! When we discovered the first egg it was truley an amazing feeling and its true what they say about never forgetting the first egg! I purposely chose hybrids because i wanted the hens to lay profusely which is what they are bred for although i must admit mine do also look rather stunning too with their reddy brown plumage -so as far as laying goes you just have to be patient like i was once told on here -and it will happen! Just look out for their combs getting bigger waxier and redder! And if you go near them they usually squat or curtsey which is a sign that they are ready for laying or are already laying -good luck -dont worry you will soon be very addicted -as all of up are on here!!
regards Patricia

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 13:43 »
Pure breeds like Marans usually start to lay later than hybrids, so I agree with the others, you may have to wait until early spring before you get eggs from them.  I don't have Marans, but my youngest pure breed was 29 weeks old before I got an egg from her.  The oldest was 41 weeks!

Then there was Rosie my Amberlink who I re-homed laid her first egg when she was 2.5 YEARS old! lol

evie2

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 19:47 »
Hi there Danny, it wont be long before you'll want to add to your flock, chooks are very addictive ::) :happy:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

DannyRD

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 23:05 »
Thank you so much for all the advice... i have blocked off the nesting boxes and they are perching in the house now and keeping the boxes clean... i will be patient and wait for the first egg (or two) to appear and spend that time deciding how it will be cooked!! Coddled, poached or omlette i cant decide!!  :tongue2:

Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12 »
Mine would be soft boiled with soldiers. :)

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 16:34 »
You'll enjoy the eggs all the more for having to wait! ;)

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 09:26 »
i have two 5 month old araucanas they havent laid yet and probably wont till after the winter now but im really looking 4ward to my first blue eggs :D cant understand why anyone would ever want shop bought eggs

orchardlady

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 10:07 »
The lovely thing about Aracana eggs is that the shell is blue all the way though rather than the hybrids that are around now that have eggs that are blue on the outside and white on the inside. also the blue of the Aracana egg is so much more vivid.  :)

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 17:06 »
my friends have all placed orders already ha ha

xx
New chickens not laying

Started by ordinarygull on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 08:14
by Sassy
xx
chickens not laying

Started by amsnan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 16:29
by Helenaj
xx
New chickens and their laying

Started by jujumoose on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 13:48
by Dominic
xx
Why are my chickens not laying

Started by bee on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 18:58
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.