Jam equipment suppliers

• 32 Replies

Bizzi Lizzi

Re: Jam equipment suppliers
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04 »
and how much you will actually use them, I think ;)

We must all have fallen for the latest gadgets at some time, you know the ones ...........  :lol:  :nowink:

Yes, absolutely agree here too.  We've got so much electrical stuff we don't use.  Hopefully as you get older you get more savvy.  I'm only 19 so am still a bit green  ... ??? :blush: :nowink: :) :D

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 19:36 »
I made jam for the first time on holiday using a basic pan and a wooden spoon. I found an empty jar in the cupboard which I sterilised with boiling water.

The jam was perfect. I think I got lucky with the pectin levels, but apart form that, do you really need to spend a fortune on kit when the basics really will do?

hamstergbert

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 21:51 »
My Nan always taught me to buy the best of anything that you could afford.  At the end of the day, you generally get what you pay for.

Sorry to anyone that disagrees :( but it's advice that I've stuck to and has paid me back many times. :) :)

Sometimes expressed as 'buy cheap, buy twice'

Terry Pratchett sums it up as the 'Rule of Coppers' Boots'
You could spend twenty guineas on a really excellent pair of boots that fit wonderfully well and last for five years or you could buy a cheap pair that cost only four guineas and fall to bits in a year, when you buy another four guineas pair.   The nub of it is that if you only buy economy boots after five years you have spent the same twenty guineas - except you've also had ruddy wet feet too!

Back to jam making implements though - the proper maslin pans seem to have a very heavy base that really helps spread the heat evenly and avoid burning.   Wouldn't be without mine now (and I also use if sometimes for brewing up a big batch of curries for the freezer, really useful to have the extra capacity and margin for spill-avoidance).  If I hadn't ended up with my Mum's jampan when she went to glory, I would definitely have bought one.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Jam and Chutney equipment

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 15:10
by Debz
xx
UK Canning Equipment

Started by gerpsych on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:25
by Yorkie
xx
Equipment & Gadgets

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 10:15
by Maryann
xx
Do you need special equipment to make jelly/jam?

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 10:00
by Wild Pony

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 30 queries.