Very Severe Red Mite Infestation

• 22 Replies

chickadee11

Very Severe Red Mite Infestation
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:33 »

I got 4 ex-bats 4 months ago, and then 2 weeks later found a Rhode Island Red and couldn't trace an owner so ended up keeping her.  My hen house was brand new too.  I noticed about 6-8 weeks ago that the hen house was crawling with red mites so I absolutely soaked it with a solution of Jeyes Fluid, I repeated the wash the next week, and then again 2 weeks later.  I decided just to be safe I'd buy some Barrier Concentrate and a pressure sprayer and do it again.  to my absolutely shock and horror when I sprayed the house the mites were pouring out of it  :(, it was worse than ever.  I've since discovered that they are in the compost bin behind the run, (I've soaked that with a very strong Jeyes Fluid mixture now) they appear to be in the soil in the chicken enclosure, and they we dismantled the run the other day to paint it and they were in between the wood of that too.  I've also found quite a lot on me this week  :tongue2: and am now having to shower everytime I go down to the hens, I am dipping my wellies in Jeyes Fluid solution before and after I enter the chicken enclosure too to try to stop them getting on me.

Does anyone have any advice?  I've recently read that mites can live on humans and there have been cases where people's homes and/or gardens have become completely infested...yuck!!

I am really thinking that maybe I will have to get rid of my hens, even though that's the last thing I'd like to do, I can't risk these mites getting in my house.

Also, I need to paint the hen house and the run to seal the wood for the winter, does anyone have any advice about what's best to use?  I have a new hen house but I'm reluctant to use it with this mite problem so I'm storing it in the shed over the winter and using the old one.

Would be grateful for any advice. 
Chick

Kelloggs

Re: Very Severe Red Mite Infestation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:43 »
The trouble is they multiply at such a rate its hard to get rid, as the eggs laid hatch and all starts again.
The one thing that will shift them is Ficam W, you will have to have protective gear on when spraying but it will do the job. Even the eggs when hatched will die when they go onto it so you don't have to reapply and will last for four months.................and as for the house  creosote is best but you will have to give it a good couple of weeks to dry
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:44 by Kelloggs »

chickadee11

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:14 »
Thanks Kelloggs.  f I use that Ficam W do I apply it to the ground as well as the house?  Also, do you know how long it will be before it's safe to return the chickens to their enclosure and the house?  Must admit I will try anything that might mean I can keep my hens.

noshed

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31 »
You can't buy creosote any more but there is lots of good advice on here about red mites. Do a search.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

donisi

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37 »
re paint: hasn't creosote been banned due to being carcinogenic? i'd use something more ecologically friendly - have had good experiences with osmo colours. also linseed oil is really, really good as a wood varnish - but please be careful when disposing of rags soaked with the oil, as they get very hot and can catch fire (exothermic reaction)!

good luck with the mite problem...

d

11 Brown Porcelain Bantam Wyandottes

chickadee11

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:17 »
Thanks for all the replies, I am busy reading lots of other threads about these beasties now..very thankful for lots of advice.

Found creosoke in Wickes..think this is the replacement for creosote.  Will give that a go if I can't get the other stuff. 

Re mites, I have another bottle of Barrier X concentrate so I'll use that at the weekend while I order some ficam w.  I hate that the mites are in the ground because I think that's how they get on me!  URGH I'm sooo itchy thinking about them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:19 »
Hi Chickadee, I spray it all round the outside of the houses not so much on the ground and wait until its competely dry. (Due for a very warm weekend so ideal time)
Creosote is still for sale and easier enough to buy but prices do vary a lot...............can only get it in the very dark colour but will keep those mites at bay. I know its not ideal but have to keep my birds safe as its been a very bad year for red mite.

Creosote is banned for amateur use.  Please read this before deciding to break the law:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:22 by Aunt Sally »

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 15:37 »
I know I am itching just reading your thread. BUT is it true. can they live on us, I cant find anything saying they do. I just itch none stop. I am looking for diato, as hillfooter said use that as a paste to coat coop. it is like a barrier they cant get through.

Good luck. I think mine is in the conifers but as they are my only wind barrier i am reluctant to get rid of them.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 15:53 »
Yup, follow Hillfooter's advice on diatomaceous earth. It makes a creamy paint (grey dries to sand) which is also easy to keep clean and OK on your skin - a bit like calamine lotion. I wouldn't spray Ficam on the ground unless there is a specific area you can't move (otherwise collect soil and put in a bin/plastic bag for a year). Ficam is expensive and spraying generally is asking for resistance. Barrier X won't have a lot of effect, but you could dismantle as much of the woodwork as possible and dunk in soapy water and disinfectant. Lots of posts suggest sealing perches etc, but this very difficult and I prefer to have everything pull-apart; not only can you dismantle weekly, but the diatomaceous earth (or Ficam or WHY can get into the gaps.
Here's a question:- has anybody come across an artificial chicken to attract mites, fleas etc? It should be possible to make a bag , put warmth, pheromones and CO2 within as an attractant and keep an eye on infestations. Same could be used as a trap in the run.  Any ideas anyone?
To cheer you up - Just think in a month's time when you're struggling through the blizzard to feed them, the mites will be a distant memory.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 16:07 »
People on here have said that the creosote substitutes aren't good enough to get rid of the mites.  I use Jeyes Fluid, then Poultryshield, and then Hemexsan which is the same stuff as diatom sprinkled everywhere.  I rub it into cracks in the wood and on the perches and in the nest boxes.

Mind you, I'm still seeing the odd mite, but keep squishing any that I do see!

Oh and I have steam cleaned my mobile perches, but haven't tried to take it down to the houses yet!

rachelr

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 16:16 »
i got a wall paper steamer and then could not use it cos it pulled half the wall off too but i am gonna get the OH to bring the coop closer over the weekend and have a go. will let you know how is goes. :happy:

browntrouty

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 16:24 »
We have had a hug problem as well with mites and they did get in the house and I'm sure they were biting me, yuk! We emptied coop and sprayed it with jeyes fluid and used a steam cleaner and resprayed with jeyes, we got rid of a lot and now we spray every day with the jeyes. It's a slow job.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 16:55 »
Chickadee adn rachelr - I've PM'd you both

Kym

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 17:37 »
I know I am itching just reading your thread. BUT is it true. can they live on us, I cant find anything saying they do. I just itch none stop. I am looking for diato, as hillfooter said use that as a paste to coat coop. it is like a barrier they cant get through.

In theory I suppose mites could live on humans but as soon as you had a bath or washed your clothes they'd be doomed. If they were in your house you could sprinkle diatom around about then just vacuum it up in a week or two.
I found treating the outside of the coop with preservative quite helpful too. I just used a water based cuprinol in the end. It was like an adhesive paint and sealed the cracks between wooden joints on the outside well. I did put 2-3 coats on but it dries so quickly (about 1 hour in the sun) I got it done in a day - and no nasty vapours for the chx. Combined with diatom inside in all cracks, every entry point, on perches etc., fingers crossed no mites. Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 17:45 by Yorkie »

chickadee11

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 14:50 »
Thanks for all your replies..blimey, this is truly a mammoth task.  If I don't get rid of the mites in the autumn and they go dormant for the winter, surely they will just come back in the spring?!  Does anyone know about that?

I put diluted Jeyes Fluid on the ground under the house last night and I will use the Barrier Concentrate on the house tomorrow, not very good to know that I wasted money on 2 bottles of the stuff if it doesn't work..but hey ho I might aswell use it!  It did seem to kill the mites in the cracks and crevices last the weekend. 

On the plus side the chickens' skin looks a little pinker on their backs so they're hopefully not getting quite as eaten as last week.

Kym, if you read this I can't reply to the message you sent me.  It says I need to post 10 times before I can reply to messages.

xx
Red Mite Infestation!! :-(

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 12:45
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Help! - red mite/lice infestation

Started by RachelD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 10:15
by Kym503
xx
week old chick - anyone used poultry shield and diatom for mite infestation???

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:16
by bubs
xx
Severe feather loss

Started by Fenland Girl on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 14:15
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.