When to harvest potatoes

• 6 Replies

RogerTheRef

When to harvest potatoes
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:02 »
I am a complete newbie and and have had an allotment since June this year.  I have sowed some potatoes (Carlingford) and to my amazement I got lots of lovely plant thingies growing.  I was advised that once they finish flowering I should cut the stems off so that any blight does not go into the potatoes themselves, which I duly did about a week ago.

Ever since then in Essex we have had rain, rain and more rain, and the ground (clay) is quite soggy.  My question is, when should I harvest and is there anything to be gained by leaving them in the ground.

Many thanks...

bigben

Re: When to harvest potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 12:20 »
I used to always grow my spuds in sacks before I got an allotment. This year I went mad and planted loads in the ground. I have been digging them out as I needed them but noticed the earlier ones had less holes than the ones I dug up later in the season. I dug up all those left at the start of September.
I would get them out of the ground. They are just too much of a target of slugs, wireworm etc.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 13:18 »
I didn't plant my 2nd earlies until June, but I've just finished harvesting mine, some really really quite large!  Why don't you dig up a couple and see how they've done so far?

Allotment Jon

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 13:31 »
I did Cara this year and the packet said dig up in September / October.

I dug up a couple of plants in early September and they were fantastic with no holes. The batch I dug up last week was no here near as good and had quite a new holes in.

Even though the plants above ground still looked fine I would agree that the later you leave it the more holes you will have.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 14:10 »
I would think about digging them all up as soon as we have a dry day so that they can dry off before being stored. The longer they are left in the ground, the more they will be damaged by slugs and other creepies.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 14:10 »
I would agree that the later you leave it the more holes you will have.
I would agree with this , I lifted some of my Wilja in early September and they had very few holes and I lifted the rest over the weekend and the number affected by slugs greatly increased. The wet weather encourages the slugs.

Next season I will lift all by mid September
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 17:09 »
I did Cara this year and the packet said dig up in September / October.

I dug up a couple of plants in early September and they were fantastic with no holes. The batch I dug up last week was no here near as good and had quite a new holes in.

Even though the plants above ground still looked fine I would agree that the later you leave it the more holes you will have.

I've found with Cara that as they are a late maturing variety the skins on mine are not set yet so they will not store well.  I'll keep an eye on them and dug them upwhen they are stronger.

xx
When to harvest potatoes

Started by digby1958 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 21:42
by sunshineband
xx
Potatoes not flowering, should i harvest?

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 13:35
by Tommy54321
xx
When to harvest early potatoes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 17:25
by JimB
xx
When to harvest second early potatoes?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:10
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 29 queries.