Asparagus

• 4 Replies

Gary.T

Asparagus
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:52 »
I have just been given my first plot after waiting for two years, the plot has a large clump of established asparagus, I would like to split this if possible and make a row of asparagus, anyone tried this? I have looked on the internet and cannot find any advice on spliting this plant.

all advice is welcomed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:53 by DD. »

RichardA

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:36 »
 I had what I thought was asparagus in a clump when I got this garden - turned out to be a fern that is used a lot by florists when making button holes and delicate bunches etc.We kept it and it is a lovely addition to flower beds and we have split it etc. But it is a fern and not the vegatable asparagus.
I am only aware personally of buying asparagus as crowns from commercial suppliers, I have a bed of three rows totally about 30 plants across two varieties. I understand that each crown grows seperately and cannot then be split. If you are sure you dealing with edible asparagus of a good varaiety is propogation from seed an option.
Sorry not an expert, so will watch what other advice you get with interest
R

gillie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:21 »
You cannot split asparagus plants.  They grow like octopuses with roots spreading out from one central core.  They don't like being disturbed at all.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 20:30 »
My mother who is a fanatical gardener had a beautiful asparagus bed that she inherited from Victorian house's previous owner. It gave plentiful shoots each year. When she moved house she looked into establishing a new bed and one of the fun things she turned up was a recommendation that first you need to bury a horse in the plot and leave for a few years. Asparagus does not like to be disturbed and it took my mothers 'new' bed over ten years to become established and even then was not even half way mature! :blink:

Gary.T

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 22:34 »
Thanks for all your advice

I will leave it well alone and see what happens.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
asparagus

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 17:15
by Bagpuss

Page created in 0.816 seconds with 28 queries.