Chooks and rain

• 15 Replies

evie2

Chooks and rain
« on: October 01, 2010, 13:50 »
What is it with chooks.

I spent all last night telling son and OH they were very clever (the chooks, not them, although I suppose ..... na) anyway Star, George, Tinker and Queenie are all standing in the small run (which is covered) getting wet because the rain is sweeping horizontally and Tallulah is standing in the middle of the big run (fast becoming a quagmire) on 1 leg, head and tail down ???

Think we might have to bring them in and dry them later ::)   
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Re: Chooks and rain
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 13:54 »
I don't have hens but my neighbour got some last week and I like to watch them from the window.

Today all of them are in and out of the rain getting soaked!!! They look really bedraggled bless them!

Why do they not do the sensible thing and settle in their little house  ::)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 14:01 »
Exactly ::)

Thanks for moving me Joyfull :D

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 19:36 »
Spent all last weekend covering half the chickens run with corrugated sheeting in readiness for this weeks rain and the the winter. Even though I say it myself it's a damn good job. Now guess where they spent the last 2 days when it was lashing it down. Correct, in the uncovered run section that now looks like a swamp. I put it down to the worms coming up to the surface when it rains.

Don't you just luv em :lol:

evie2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 21:10 »
They do say mud's good for the skin :lol:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 21:18 »
I think mine are all a bit confused too - the chooks stood looking like bedraggled messes despite having a covered run they could go in and the ducks who should like water all went back to bed! Silly animals  ::)

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 21:39 »
mine have adopted the utility. so much so that when i threw the bedding on the floor to wash they settled in and made good use of it and the tumble drier.

they have a lovely covered run and also a large verandah area but no they pooh all over my dirty washing.

hotchicks77

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 22:50 »
Mine have an old Farm Garage and a large open run. As soon as the rain comes they are out in it i dont know what it is they just love it.

Only 2 there are, no more no less!

evie2

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:46 »
Well, I thought this morning they might look a bit dirty but no, they look like they've had a day at a spa, snowy white and fluffy  :lol:

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 16:30 »
I came home last night to 7 wet "rats" (my girls) looking at me in their run and 1 (rather smug looking) lady standing in the door way of the house - she looked just like she way saying "look mum I'm a good girl!"

They are sooo funny!
Toni

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 18:52 »
Mine got soaked yesterday and didn't bother looking for cover, even though they had plenty of places to go. They seem to like being in the rain and having a good shake. As soon as it starts getting colder and wetter, hot mash or porridge will be in order to keep them warm  :lol:
Alan

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 21:55 »
We call rainy days 'Soggy Chicken Days' They have plenty of places to go for shelter but seem to often chose to be out in  the pouring rain.

bengigirl

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 19:14 »
I am so glad to read this, I thought my girls were a bit odd...they get soaking dripping wet rather than go under cover, even my 2 elderly Bluebelles like a shower.  We get a lot of rain here overlooking the Brecons, 3 of the girls were bred for it but the rest of the crew ....well I am surprised at the tenacity of the girls to glean every last second out of ranging.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 21:03 »
My chooks love to be out in the rain when it's a fairly gentle rain, not so much when it's like stair rods. 

The heavens opened here earlier today and all the girls to a bird legged it en-mass across the garden as fast as their legs (and wings in some instances) would take them to shelter under the giant leylandii where the rain can't penetrate. 

When the sun came out this evening (I know, I couldn't believe it either!) they all took to sitting on the steps down onto the patio and having a good preen and snooze.  They really make me laugh with their funny little ways.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

evie2

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22 »
OH had not noticed the chooks out in the rain yesterday until I mentioned it.  Being a typical Dad, out he went, as he did with the children, telling them to, 'get inside, it's raining and look at you, dripping wet and all muddy, come on, come on get in', and in they went, but just like the children as soon as his back was turned, out they went again :lol:

xx
The rain

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:34
by joyfull
xx
There is nothing quite so pathetic looking as a hen in the rain!

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 16:01
by OpiumEater
xx
Loving the rain....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 09:14
by Willow_Warren
clip
New chooks

Started by carl on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 21:11
by grinling

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 29 queries.