When do they start using perches

• 6 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« on: July 16, 2007, 22:32 »
My new chicks dont seem to go near it. They all cram themselves into one of three nest boxes.

When do they start using it.

Its a re used  hen house and perch and I no the previous occupants of the house used the purch so its not like its wrong shape height etc.

Secondly  I am constructing a shed and run, Any views on making the shed chicken comfy .  Ie  perch and nest box heights. What do you use bread trays, old crates etc. 10  light sussex birds. Mix of cock n hens not yet known. 6x 4 apex roof shed. Any ideas welcome thanks
NOT ARF !

Blondie

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28 »
No idea about converting the shed but as for the perch mine started using it straight away. One starting sleeping on it at night with the other at its feet but then it soon copied her friend. Perhaps if you try lifting them on each night for a few days they'll get the idea?? See what others think

x

purplebat

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 13:28 »
the majority of mine still use the nest boxes; I think they're just lazy  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

psipower

Re: When do they start using perches
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 15:45 »
Quote from: "Fluff"

Secondly  I am constructing a shed and run, Any views on making the shed chicken comfy .  Ie  perch and nest box heights. What do you use bread trays, old crates etc. 10  light sussex birds. Mix of cock n hens not yet known. 6x 4 apex roof shed. Any ideas welcome thanks

Hi fluff. I gave my chickens high perches - about eye-level - and they love it. I didn't have to move them out of the old house (shiplap, 3'x4' on some breezeblocks) - they found the perches and moved themselves!!!! The ladder up is at about 45degress, just 2x1 with steps every 9inches or so. I started off with staggered height perches, but now they are both the same height.

In a neighbouring village I know someone with chickens that camp out all year, so I didn't worry too much about draughts. And the rest of the shed is for my convenience! e.g. a couple of 2x1 rails across to rest some old trays on (=droppings board). The perches were just some 2x2 with the corners planed off. 6ft each perch, On hot nights 8 birds spread themselves along 1 perch. Colder nights they settle closer together.

Nest boxes - since we want a depth of chippings of say 3", then at least this deep! As a cheap option I just used 6" gravel board. 3 pieces across as a base, 1 each, front and back, butted up against the base, giving a height of about 5". I made the front height upto about 18" (because that was just using more 6" gravel board cut with an angle to make sloping sides.) The front itself was a piece of ply that happened to be lying around the garage already the right size, although more gravel board would have done:)! Simply jig-sawed a chicken size hole in it. Since the rest of the 'shed' was very open and light, added a square of fabric nearly cut into strips to act as a curtain and darken the nest box. The roof is just a few pieces of 2x1 with featheredge nailed on and a couple of hinges, attached to the front so it can be lifted. The nest box is 6ft long because that was a size I could buy the gravel board, and I am essentially lazy. It is also enough for the 8 large hens we already have (Sussex, RIR,Wyandotte etc.) and another 10 we will also inevitably end up with!!!

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 20:27 »
good idea, but how big is the perch?
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

psipower

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 20:38 »
good idea, but how big is the perch?

were you asking me? :)

Quote from: "psipower"
The perches were just some 2x2 with the corners planed off. 6ft each perch,

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 20:40 »
no, i was asking fluff. the perch may be to big or to small depending on how old and how big the chickens are

xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:12
by ness
xx
Perches

Started by Pixiewish on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:12
by jhub
xx
Perches

Started by lamina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 06:53
by GTO
xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 21:52
by ness

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 28 queries.