Hawks

• 19 Replies

princesspoultry

Re: hawks
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 19:39 »
Quote from: "psipower"
Quote from: "princesspoultry"
Is your chicken pen big?Just asking because i have been told that a hawk doesn't have the landing space in my pen but my pen is pretty big....

I think buzzards don't like cover - they have not seemed interested in our chickens walking around among the trees and bushes - although there is a neighbouring open field full of peasants. Can't see whether they have cover since our delightful neighbour planted the border with (now 20ft high vs planning permission 6ft high) leylandii.

However, I remember in a much earlier converstaion muntjac saying the trees won't be a barrier to sparrowhawks. I have since seen a wood-pigeon being persued through the air between the trees by a hawk. And I remember a sparrow sized bird being taken to ground in front of me when we had even more trees (On open ground area/veggie plot about 20ft by 60ft)! So I would assume things upto pigeon size might be at risk from hawks!

PS. Anyone got a supply of viruses or something that attack leylandii? and why haven't you released huge quantites into the open already???? :)

Are their sparrowhawks in New York?

psipower

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 19:53 »

Here is a snippet from an online article:

The Eastern bluebird, which returned to nesting grounds in western Long Island five years ago after a 50-year absence, remains a determined if tenuous resident in a sprawling meadow nature preserve here, fighting off sparrow hawks and Wall Street bulls.

Naturalists warn that the continuing survival of the rusty-breasted songbird along the North Shore is threatened by a recent wave of housing development, paid for with hefty Wall Street profits, on the remaining fragments of old Gold Coast estates.

The new construction has displaced feathered and furry refugees who have fled to the 197-acre Tiffany Creek Preserve here and to other North Shore wildlife sanctuaries. Forced from their old hunting grounds, sparrow hawks and other predators have taken up new posts atop the slant-roofed birdhouses designed by ornithologists to attract the bluebird, the state bird of New York and long a favorite of poets and songwriters as a symbol of happiness.

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
Hawks
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 20:24 »
we have a chicken wire covering over the pen/run
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

ssatt44

Hawks
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 20:47 »
apparently "lion poo" is a very effective deterrent - wondered if you've come across any? There again how much would it cost to post from Arizona (the poo not the lion!):lol:  :lol:[/quote]

I remembered that there is a wild animal park abt. 50 miles from here. African lion, lepard etc. I would PAY to see you explain this to the Customs man. I could just see a proper brit going around in the evening with a spray bottle of eau de lion "marking your territory" :lol:

sharon in arizona

princesspoultry

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 23:21 »
Quote from: "psipower"

Here is a snippet from an online article:

The Eastern bluebird, which returned to nesting grounds in western Long Island five years ago after a 50-year absence, remains a determined if tenuous resident in a sprawling meadow nature preserve here, fighting off sparrow hawks and Wall Street bulls.

Naturalists warn that the continuing survival of the rusty-breasted songbird along the North Shore is threatened by a recent wave of housing development, paid for with hefty Wall Street profits, on the remaining fragments of old Gold Coast estates.

The new construction has displaced feathered and furry refugees who have fled to the 197-acre Tiffany Creek Preserve here and to other North Shore wildlife sanctuaries. Forced from their old hunting grounds, sparrow hawks and other predators have taken up new posts atop the slant-roofed birdhouses designed by ornithologists to attract the bluebird, the state bird of New York and long a favorite of poets and songwriters as a symbol of happiness.

OH OK.Thanks for showing me that:)

xx
Hawks?

Started by Dellie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 16:10
by Dellie

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 36 queries.