beetroot in the eggs?

• 12 Replies

dollybird

beetroot in the eggs?
« on: September 29, 2010, 22:21 »
hi , i gave my girls some left over fresh beetroot that i had boiled up this afternoon and a couple of hours later there was red poo everywhere. can anyone tell me if the colour is going to get into the eggs or shell thanks jackie.

RichardA

Re: beetroot in the eggs?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 22:59 »
we only have ducks so perhaps I am not the best to advise but we lived in the middle east for some time and the eggs we could get were from chucks fed on all sorts of scraps from the market place - good eggs and fresh but you certainly knew if a chuck had eaten grapefruit or fish scraps etc.
Doubt the colour will come through but taste might if feeding on beetroot is prolonged. But I could be wrong - personally I hope so --- I hate beetroot.
R

dollybird

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 23:10 »
it was just one tennis ball size beetroot, no viniger on it.  i dont think i will be giving it to them again i got a right old shock when i saw all the deep red poo.... my daughter worked it out that the beetroot was the culprit and she is still laughing and telling everyone. jackie

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:16 »
Next time you've got any spare, can you parcel it up and send it to me instead? I just LOVE freshly cooked beetroot! You have got lucky chooks!

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38 »
My husband loves beetroot and actually went to the doctor because of the same issues as your hens. The first question the doctor asked was had been eating beetroot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 17:22 »
 :D yep the first 'water' the day after a beetroot-fest can be quite a shocker  :ohmy: 'til you remember!  :D

rudy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 17:51 »
I gave my chooks beetroot leaves/stems and their poo was dark red for a couple of days too. It didn't affect the eggs luckily cuz that would have been really offputting!
blimey, not more marrows............!

Junie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:13 »
Hi, I've done the same and fed some beetroot  and there was no effect on the eggs at all, - the same happens with blackberries too!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:01 »
When they're fed kale they end up with turquoise poos  :D

They dearly love beetroot. I give it to mine raw with the foliage and they love it, and I'm sure it's good for them  :)

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 11:07 »

don't worry dollybird, don't think it changes the colour of the egg or the shell  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 13:19 »
I tried to see if I could get my ducks to lay pink eggs by feeding them just beetroot as their treats rather than the usual mix of greens. Got a lot of pink poo but no pink eggs.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Junie

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 17:36 »
When they're fed kale they end up with turquoise poos  :D

Will try that!

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 18:19 »
Remember years ago my 5 year old son did a red poo.  Nearly had a holy fit thinking he had internal bleeding!!!  Turned out he had Beetroot for lunch at school.  What a relief!!!
Jinty

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 27 queries.