Clubroot

• 7 Replies

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Clubroot
« on: September 27, 2010, 20:58 »
as anyone had any success using Jay's fluid to steralize there soil , I have lost all my brussles with the dredded clubroot ,and its very disheartning to see your crop wilt away after all the time and efort you put into your allotment,
I know that lime can help to deter it. This year was the first year that I bought some cabbage plants from a boot sale,and I am convinced that is wear ive brought the spause  from.
Back to growing my own from seed in future ,never had a problem doing it that way, you live and learn as they say 

Nige2Plots

Re: Clubroot
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 21:15 »
as anyone had any success using Jay's fluid to steralize there soil , I have lost all my brussles with the dredded clubroot ,and its very disheartning to see your crop wilt away after all the time and efort you put into your allotment,
I know that lime can help to deter it. This year was the first year that I bought some cabbage plants from a boot sale,and I am convinced that is wear ive brought the spause  from.
Back to growing my own from seed in future ,never had a problem doing it that way, you live and learn as they say 
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and the answer if I remember correctly was NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 22:03 »
As Nige says - it is no longer legal to use Jeyes to sterilise soil.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 23:24 »
What is the answer for those who have club root then?  Is there any effective treatment available on the market now for the general public?  I bet the commercial boys have access to something!
John

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 23:28 »
No 100% cure but you could try liming the soil to reduce acidity and also try dipping the transplants in flowers of sulphur.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58 »
This is our method and funny enough I was thinking of doing a how to with piccys next year. Our site is rife but we have a method which works a treat and you get really healthy roots and veg.
Fist start of as normal, pot your brassicas in to min 3 inch pref 4 inch pots and grow on until the roots come out the base, normally 4 leaf stage. The bed would of been mucked and limed over the winter/spring ready. Now this is our bit, we dig a hole around 1 foot in diameter and a spit deep, line the outer edge with lime and fill with fresh compost, firm down and transplant your plant into this hole and water in, I will gaurantee good results using this method. I have also read that dried seaweed powder also combats clubroot. I will lift one of my red cabbages tonight and post a photo of the root system so you can see the difference.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Club root
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 19:14 »
The Beechgrove Garden TV program, showed very good results by using club root resistant varieties, as well as using potted plants and liming.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 19:17 »
My plot is also rife and I've had gret results using the club root resistant varieties raised in pots, in particular Clapton Caulis.

It also avoids all the back-breaking work of making your plot look like the lunar landscape.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
what is clubroot?

Started by egym on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 09:45
by gobs
xx
Clubroot

Started by thegarybrough on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 17:16
by thegarybrough
xx
clubroot

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 16:16
by DD.
xx
clubroot

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2006, 22:40
by John

Page created in 1.317 seconds with 30 queries.